1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bruck's Nurses' Cape Date According to Label?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by EndlessAlley, Sep 20, 2012.

1. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

Nurses' Capes really all look pretty much the same, so I only have clues from the label to help me date this piece. I did find the company was sold in the 1960's, but forgot to bookmark the page and now I can't find it. :(

Credited from WW II to the early 60's.... all the Bruck's labels I've found read:
    NURSES' APPAREL
    Bruck's

Bruck's Nurses Outfitting Co. - Inc.

I haven't been able to find a label like the one on my nurses' cape which simply reads:
    Bruck's NURSES' APPAREL
    Is this an older label/date because there is no "Inc." on my label? My guess is "yes" but I'm thinking of "registered trademarks" and don't know if the same is true for incorporation of companies.
    A couple of additional differences in this cape from what I've seen are the neckline trim and the reversible tabs. Many thanks for any help on this one!:wacko:

VFG3.jpg VFG1.jpg VFG5.jpg VFG4.jpg

2. MissRita

MissRita Guest

This looks WWII era to me Alice. The wars had the greatest effect on nursing attire; the long uniforms were ditched during WWI in favor of clothing that provided ease of movement in busy hospitals and even hats were pretty much done away with during the 1950s. Your terrific cape would have been considered outdated by this time so I don't see it being later than the mid-40s or thereabouts.

EndlessAlley likes this.
  3. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I am having trouble dating the full length nurses cape I am getting ready to list. My label has more detail and to me looks older. [​IMG]
    Most of the capes I have found online are dated as WWII and are short. Mine is full length, 42 inches long. And it has a bright gold wool lining, while most are red. I wonder if the color of the lining could be associated with a particular nursing school? Most WWI capes were long, but one image I found shows a short one in 1918. I believe mine is early 1940's. Any of your ideas will be appreciated.
    Marian

4. forever52

forever52 Registered Guest

I too am wondering about the date of my cape. The label is like that of Marian Vintage above and is a medium grey blue in color with the wool lining in gold like she describes. It has a chain above the label, I assume for hanging. Mine however is the shorter length of 34"
    It has the initials embroidered in but also a name tag which identifies the owner. [​IMG]Any ideas as to age on this cape as well?

Attached Files: