1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burberrys London Coat - what year?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by jjana, Sep 29, 2020.

Tags:
  1. jjana

jjana Registered Guest

Hi everybody!

I have a vintage Burberrys Coat in navy blue colour. I wanted to ask for your help to understand from which year it could be. From what I found, I think it could be from the 80s?
    I took photos of the labels and overall style for you to see it. I think the best indication is the label in the pocket with "Name" and "Order". I found some indications online, but couldn't fully "read" my label and understand what year it is.
    Maybe somebody has some clearer ideas about the year it was made? :)

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      41.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      27.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      35.4 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      36.5 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      22.5 KB
      Views:
    • 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      36.9 KB
      Views:
    • 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      File size:
      31 KB
      Views:
    • 8.JPG
      8.JPG
      File size:
      30.4 KB
      Views:
  2. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Burberry may have archives. Usually they are in the Press Relations dept., but Burberry has a Customer Service Dept. that might be able to steer you in the right direction
    Before writing, I would suggest a good photo on a person or dress form. It's hard to see the details, and a lot of Burberrys look alike.
    Also, I would measure it.

3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

It's no later than late 90s, as that's when Burberry dropped the S.

By the care labelling and multiple languages no earlier than 80s I would say. I can't be more precise than that, sorry.

4. I agree with Ruth: no earlier than '90s but it could be more modern. It's a lovely, classic style and I'd be pretty happy to that in my wardrobe.

5. Retro Ruth

Nicole I meant no later than late 1990s. If it were 2000 or later, it would say Burberry, not Burberrys. https://vintagefashionguild.org/label-resource/burberrys/

Overall the labelling to me suggests the latter end of an 80s - 90s timeframe, but having only 4 rather than 5 care symbols is an anomoly. The fifth symbol (drying method, eg dry flat, tumble dry etc), apparently starting being more used from the mid 80s (see Ginetex timeline). But like everything, there will have been early adopters and late adopters, so this could still be late 90s and have only 4 symbols.

6. Retro Ruth

We have speculated in the past that the name and order label is for a custom order service, see this thread: https://forums.vintagefashionguild.org/threads/burberrys-skirt.49788/

I have seen some people online suggesting that you can read the year from the order number, but I don't think it's true. I've certainly seen Burberry order numbers that clearly had no relation to the year of the garment.

7. Thanks Ruth, I see early to mid '90s for this one. I don't recall that level of detail on labels prior to the '90s.

You're right about the order label: it looks like a custom job. I've worked for designers who did special orders like this and the systems are usually opaque so that outsiders can't interpret them. So it might have a date in there, but hard to know. I can't remember if my old employer used a date system or not but some do, eg '/09' might mean the ninth year after the bespoke service (or system) was offered. Someone who works in the Burberry factory/ies might know.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  8. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Looking at it laid out it looks more late 70's in styling, longer collar, slimming to waist. Best to see it on a dress form or being worn, it can change the shape completely.