1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Button Bragging

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by amandainvermont, Apr 27, 2009.

1. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

My friend Matthew sent me

this Link

to his most recent button finds. I LOVE the little chicks and the jockey hats.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Oh, those are wonderful, Amanda! Any idea when they date to?

I love the glass intaglio ones at the link...

3. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

yes, the glass flower baskets, and the ivory with the blue flower, WOWOWOW, they are GREAT!!!

4. amandainvermont

I'll ask Matthew about the dates. He lives outside of Paris and is obsessed with buttons.

5. APrizeEveryTime

APrizeEveryTime VFG Special Friend

I swear, Matthew really knows how to snag the world's greatest buttons. I love the hand-painted and gilt Egyptian ones!

He does a great job with photography, too.

Thanks for sharing the link, Amanda, and please give him my best.

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

The terrier buttons at the end of page 5 are too cute! and on page 6 that Henri Hamm button for $200 sure has peaked my curiousity about Mr. Hamm!

7. ivycompany

ivycompany Alumni

Gorgeous! I learn so much just looking at them. What a great resource he is. Is he a member?
    Does he have a website, or does he just sell straight from his photobucket?

8. amandainvermont

Here is what Matthew said about the ceramic buttons (and some other comments)

"Those tend to date from the post-WWII period through the 50's. People wanted fun, colorful things, and evidently ceramic was one of the few materials that wasn't rationed... or that was readily available. I've just bought a fairly big batch (ten or so) of earlier ceramic buttons by a man who designed for Schiapparelli."

I am trying to convince Matthew to sign on as a "friend" here. And I asked him why Mr. Hamm's buttons were so pricey.