1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Button Question/Quiz

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by amandainvermont, Sep 11, 2017.

1. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

In August my friend Matthew came over from France to attend the National Button Society Convention in Appleton, Wisconsin. Part of the event is competing for first place with cards of buttons in many different categories. He did win first place with two cards, which I will show in another post. This card is for the "Buttons AFTER 1918" and because of one button he was disqualified. So the quiz is - which button on this card is earlier than 1918 according to the expert judges. The one I picked, shown separately, was the wrong choice.

Screen Shot 2017-09-10 at 11.06.09 AM.png 2017div3.JPG

Canary Club Vintage likes this.
  2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

3. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

I will pick the one above the bird's tail, with the green and red trim.

4. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Can you show a slightly larger pic of the whole card?

5. amandainvermont

Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 4.16.36 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 4.16.44 PM.png

This is the best I can do - screen shots from his e-mail.

6. INVINTAGEV

INVINTAGEV VFG Member

One with the pearl and strass (red/blu) around

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Just a guess, is it the small opalescent moonstone looking one with the tiny brass leaf overlay?

8. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

9. amandainvermont

OK - I will direct him to this thread. Perhaps he will answer, or at the very least, he will tell me the answer.

10. INVINTAGEV

INVINTAGEV VFG Member

yes no pearl sorry but opalescent stone

11. Small round one that I think says "operculum"

12. amandainvermont

The answer from the button man -

I had a very quick peek at the discussion on the VFG. I don't remember all the guesses, but most of them were buttons that are post-WW II. The one with the rhinestone border is probably 50s or 60's, the one with the brass feather (not a leaf) is probably also 50s. Both of those are sure to date from that period, as they are by known button designers. The one with the dangly red and green glass is a bit more difficult... could be 30s, could be post-war. The button you chose is probably the oldest among the guesses, as I would date it to the 30s.

The "correct" answer is the large button with the bow in the lower right corner. To me, the bow is very "loosely" drawn and looks more "modern" (I was thinking 20s, also based on the size of the button). The judges (and I'm guessing about their reasoning) thought that the technique -- the bow is a separate piece of pearl that is attached to the pearl base with steel pins -- would only have been used on an earlier button. I think it's a fair difference of opinion!