1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buttons Buttons !!!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by amandainvermont, Aug 13, 2018.

1. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

The National Button Society is having their annual convention next week in Jacksonville, Florida. Info HERE.

If any of you are in the area, I strongly recommend it. If you like vintage jewelry these buttons are amazing. Monday there is a vintage fashion show which will feature the use of buttons of course.

And my friend Matthew will be flying over from France to attend. He is submitting two competition trays for the convention which I will include here. One is for pearl buttons from before 1918, the other is pearl buttons of any age.

2018 div 1 shell.JPG

2018 div 9 shell.JPG

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Ah, and just yesterday I found (in the depths of my house) just the thing in which to carry home those beautiful buttons...

ButtonButtonWhosGotAButton.jpg

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Love the mop with the olive coloured leaf on the first board -- and the swallow on the second board! Great buttons! Do they ever have conventions nearer the Canadian border? Buffalo? Chicago?

4. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

They had one in Manchester, New Hampshire and I went to it. I'll check their schedule Jonathan.

5. Buttons are so fascinating! As I child I remember spending hours sorting the buttons that we kept in a large tin. Your friend, Matthew, has some exquisite examples. Beautiful! It's difficult to choose a favorite, but it might be the dragonfly button in the top tray. I hope he has good luck with his trays and thanks for sharing!

lkranieri likes this.
  6. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Bonnie, I used to sit under the table playing with big tins of buttons when my grandmother and her two best friends were quilting.
    Fond memories indeed.
    And I inherited a ton of amazing buttons from my DH's grandmother, they were all on cards and sorted meticulously.

Matthew has some amazing buttons, I too like the swallow.

7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Buttons are truly fascinating! I still love going through tins of buttons...wish I could get my act together to start listing some.

Matthew's collection is exceptional!

8. ClubVintage

ClubVintage VFG Member

Stunning examples....I wish I had time to go through my many tins of buttons.