1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

California ‘the look you love’ dress - any thoughts on era or info about the label?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Impey, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

This is my personal favourite - it’s so bright and cheery and looks like it’s never been worn!

no composition label - just a ‘handwash’ instruction. Zipper is plastic.

any thoughts most welcome! I’m guessing 60s, but because the condition is amazing and the label looks modern it’s making me wonder if it’s a later ‘does 60s’ dress?

That wouldn’t fit with what I know about the owner, but again it would help if anyone knew anything in about California as a label

many thanks

impey

Attached Files:

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

The various labels don't look modern to me. It could be 70s, but not later. Hopefully someone will have a stronger opinion on later 60s vs 70s, I'm not sure. Lovely print!

3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I have been going back and forth about this one too... I love the print, anyway! Again, I would associate that collar treatment with 60s, but the fabric makes me second guessing about 70s. I don't think it's newer.

4. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

What a fabulous print! I'd guess at late 60s-early 70s. I don't think the labels look modern at all.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  5. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

I think it’s early 70s

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

7. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Another vote for early 1970s

8. Moikids

Moikids Registered Guest

Yesterday I bought a dress with the same label and I am also curious about the dating of my dress. For about how long did the label exist? Maybe a photo of my dress can help you in dating yours?

Attached Files:

9. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Impey,

I am seeing late 1960s in your pretty dress, in both the collar and the print.

Vinclothes likes this.
  10. Space girl eliza

Space girl eliza Registered Guest

Hi there :)

I work in a charity shop and we've received a dress by the same brand that features the same label.

The donor also gave us a photo of her wearing it that is dated 1977. Looking at the style of your dress I would guess it is an earlier style but still a 70s piece :)

11. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It doesn't look like a young woman's dress to me. If I was styling someone for a film I would use this for an early 1970s character like Betty White as Sue Ann Nivens - stylish, middle aged, big hair, nude pantyhose and patent leather shoes...

MagsRags and denisebrain like this.
  12. Maria Jesus

Maria Jesus Registered Guest

Hello!
    I am also curious about the dating of my dress. Any person can help me? Thanks!

Attached Files:

13. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I think this was originally a maxi dress that has been shortened.

Early 70s or thereabouts.

14. Maria Jesus

Maria Jesus Registered Guest

Thanks very much!