1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling ALL Ladies!!! ...and forum admins...

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by VendettaVintage, Dec 10, 2009.

1. VendettaVintage

VendettaVintage Registered Guest

Hello everyone!

My name is Matthew. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Currently I am new to this forum, yet not to vintage clothes. I've sold mostly vintage tees and guys clothing over the past five years as a hobby and have finally decided to take a leap and launch a website. Which I am really excited about.

Over the last year I have begun shopping more for womens clothing. (and yes I do have to ensure the ladies ringing up the dresses and other garments that they are NOT for my self...especially when I get the look! Ha!) <--Which by the way doesn't bother me since I am comfortable in my own skin...So, I guess let me get to some of my questions that I have.

Obviously as stated:
    I'm not a girl
    Nor do I wear girls clothes

(I promise that was intended to have some humor) So, descriptive words like A-line, maxi, avante garde, drape ect ect I just don't get or understand. If anyone has a link or cliff note book on ladies verbage that would just be awesome!

In fact this is one major reason why this forum excites me since I will have the ability to get more than just my opinion on items that I want to sell.

Second question:
    I do plan on applying for a membership, but in the meantime I would like to start adding some pictures and getting feedback and help on descriptions. I currently am not selling any vintage items nor would the pictures be for sell at least for another 30+ days or so. So, is it okay if I start adding pictures and asking for your help or do I need to have a "membership" first?

Thanks again for your time to read this! Oh, and if anyone has any books to recommend for getting a better grasp on ladies vintage (50s-80s) please let me know!

Cheers!
    matthew

2. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

Hi Matthew--

Welcome to the VFG! As a "friend" of the VFG, you can post pictures of items for help & questions -- you just cannot link to anything currently for sale of your own nor "advertise" your selling venues.

As for the rest, I'm sure someone else will be along shortly to answer more of your questions...

(oh, and thanks for going out of your way to check on the board rules!)

3. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

Hi Matthew :hiya:

No problem at all with posting photos that pertain to a question about vintage.

I will see what I can find about the other matter; defintion of style terms.

4. VendettaVintage

5. VendettaVintage

Haha...guess I will have to get used to How to add the smilies as well! LOL

6. TinTrunk

TinTrunk Registered Guest

Hi Matthew!

I'll tell you what's helped me an awful lot is to look at online vintage stores, especially those of some of the eminent VFG members.

You'll see a lot of fine examples of vintage clothing, but also some really well written descriptions that will help you get a handle on all those terms you mention, and more.

I'm an historian, so I have some knowledge within the academic field, but there's also a lot of terminology that has evolved within the vintage clothing trade that just doesn't appear in standard reference books.

So yes, look at fashion reference books, but also check plenty of vintage sites and you'll soon absorb the kind of information you need to recognise dates, styles and features that should be highlighted in your own stock.

I'm not qualified to answer your second question, being only a 'friend' myself, but I'm sure someone will soon!

Sarah

7. TinTrunk

TinTrunk Registered Guest

I'm a slow typer! Looks like question two has been covered!

Sarah

8. hello an welcome!!! there are a few males on here.. and i quite love my husband in my vintage dresses (totally joking,,,,) anywho... i sent you a message via U2U. It will me in the upper right corner of your page.

WELCOME... and I applaud you for stepping out of your comfort zone and wanting to make sure that you are doing it right!! refreshing!

9. VendettaVintage

Thanks Sarah for your input...I do agree!

Jennifer- Only a few males on here, huh? I guess I will have my pick of the litter since I am single, straight, charming ..."oh wait, and he loves vintage clothing?!?!" Somebody insert the drooling smilie NOW! hehe (note to all admins: that was only intended for a chuckle...I know this is NOT a dating website...and I apologize)

Also, Jennifer thank you for the U2U it was exactly what I was looking for! You are the best!

matthew

10. boncly

boncly VFG Member

Hello Matthew!

I have a book that has come in quite handy for terminology. Of course, it doesn't cover everything but it is fairly comprehensive and has helped quite often. It's "A Dictionary of Costume and Fashion. Historic and Modern" by Mary Brooks Picken and it's from Dover Books. I'm fairly certain I got mine through Amazon - you can click on the Amazon link in the banner at the top of the VFG pages.

Diana :USETHUMBUP:

11. VendettaVintage

Thank you Diana! This will be added to my top of the "books to buy" list.

12. you are quite welcome! asI said its still under construction especially the eBay slang terms.. I will be working on that this weekend :)

oh Lordy ladies... we got a charmer...now the question falls if you are still single whats wrong with you :) :clueless:

13. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Hi Matthew,

My hubby has had his share of the look when buying vintage ladies clothes too!

just to let you know one of our members, Lei, started a great post with everyone's favorite books on fashion and we have a number of our guild members who have written books too, which you can find out about on our home page.

here is the link to the list below for you.

Vintage Clothing Books List

14. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Hi Matthew - It sounds as if you will have a lot of questions, which is fine with us. I have a big old box of t-shirts I collected for a few years, thinking I could strike it rich ... so I may have some questions for you.

There are all kinds of sites to research clothing. HERE is a cheat sheet on style terms. And there's THIS just for a start.

One gal has compiled all kinds of links HERE.

That should keep you busy!

15. Welcome Matthew :hiya: I think everything has been covered but just wanted to drop by and say 'hello'. You will love it here. I can definitely recommend any of the Sears catalogues (available on Amazon) - they're great reference books for everyday clothing through the decades.

:xmas3:

16. Leisa

Leisa VFG Member

Welcome, Matthew.

I think the one book that helped me more than any others was the Vogue Sewing Book.

Although it came out yearly, it has a lot of the basic terms in it. ( A-line, maxi, avante garde, drape etc) I think mine is from the mid-70's. I bought it on eBay for about $4.00. I see them in the thrifts pretty often, too.

Don't you sell on eBay now? Seems I've seen your auctions..?

now... where the heck is that drooling smiley? LOL

17. dorotheascloset

dorotheascloset Registered Guest

Jennifer! Whats with insisting something must be wrong with someone who's single! I take offense. :cursing: (kidding)

Hi Matthew. Just wanted to add that if you can grab any vintage catalogs or fashion magazines they're a great way to learn accurate looks for specific era as well as broaden your terminology. They can be hard to find, but it only takes a few to have a decent library of them for reference.

Other than that, I'd go to our member's shop links page and look around.

Ang

18. nostalgic*collections

nostalgic*collections Registered Guest

Welcome!

Wikipedia is a great resource for terminalogy. Search Avant Garde and it will give definitions, history, and uses. Sometimes I still need clarification, but this is a great place to get help! These ladies (and gentlemen) are super wonderful.

Vicki

19. hipvintage

hipvintage Alumni

I agree. This isn't the 50's when you had to be married by the ripe old age of 23.

Welcome, Matthew! The more guys here the merrier!:sunshine:

Janine

20. VendettaVintage

Thank you all so much for your insights...sorry it has taken me a bit to respond back. I look forward to meeting more of you in the near future! Wishing you all a blessed 2010!

Matthew