1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camel Hair Coat?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by foofoogal, Feb 2, 2009.

1. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

I found a luscious pink 100% camel coat. It has 2 labels. One is roderick p. miller (quincy) and one states: Fleurette of California. Any information greatly appreciated.

I need to know also if 100% camel coat is treated like real fur like mink. I ask this as not all dry cleaners know how to clean fur. Would they be more able to know how to clean camel hair?
    The shoulders of the coat has become a bit dirty. thanks.

2. avamac

avamac Alumni

Camel hair cleans like a regular cloth coat. Any good cleaners should be able to handle it.

Camel is wonderfully warm and weightless. And pink! how fun!....99% are camel colored, the other 1% red or black.

3. Do you have any photos of the coat or the labels?

Nicole

4. joules

joules VFG Member

I recently sold a very nice camel hair coat. The label indicated clean by fur method:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fleurette is a good quality coat label. I have a wool Fleurette coat, with a Bullock's Wilshire label, in my shop presently.

5. thevintagebungalow

thevintagebungalow VFG Member

6. joules

joules VFG Member

Very luxurious and so pretty in the pink color!
    The Fleurette label is identical to the one in my Bullock's Wilshire coat:
    [​IMG]

7. avamac

avamac Alumni

And I think we've run through a bulk cleaner...! :BAGUSE:

8. joules

joules VFG Member

Maryalice, the thought occurred to me that the Robert Meshekoff label perhaps was used in various garments they manufactured? My dry cleaner seemed to be unfazed, and it came out fine. Can't recall how much they charged; they're never inexpensive there, but trustworthy. I did point that label instruction out to them.

9. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

thank you so much. Do you know the time period maybe. I just moved to Arkansas and it is cold. I think I may have to wear this one a bit. After I send it to the cleaners and hopefully they will not mess it up.
    -------
    Joules, your white coat is devine. I loved the link to the clock series story.
    I think this has to be the best line I have ever read about vintage online:
    :clapping:thank you so much. Do you know the time period maybe. I just moved to Arkansas and it is cold. I think I may have to wear this one a bit. After I send it to the cleaners and hopefully they will not mess it up.
    -------
    Joules, your white coat is devine. I loved the link to the clock series story.
    I think this has to be the best line I have ever read about vintage online:
    " I mean, this store told New York's 5th Avenue shops to Shut Up."

10. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

ooh, that's lovely! such an unusual color...

I have a 70s camel hair trench from I Magnin that I've cleaned a couple of times at my regular cleaner with no problems whatsoever. It's one of my favorite coats--so lightweight and SO warm!

11. joules

joules VFG Member

foofoogal, thank you! That means a lot to me, as I try to impart some tidbits of fashion history along the way, and Bullock's Wilshire was all that, and more! :) I'm glad you enjoyed reading the linked piece, about the store. Thank you for the compliments about the coat too!

Your coat was from that long-enduring retail shop in Quincy, Illinois, and it might be fun to research a bit of that store's history. I am guessing your coat to be in the late sixties to early seventies realm. If the cleaners is decent, there should be no problem. There's the beauty of vintage fashion. Wear and enjoy, and then sell later on.

12. ritesh

ritesh Registered Guest

On this year i give anniversary gift to my wife a camel coat which likes my wife very much

13. last post was spammy, btw....

n