1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a theatrical costume be described as vintage?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Avantbo, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Just that really.

I'm asking because there was a recent thread where a pair of pants/trousers had been found and an attempt to discover from which film, who might have worn them and era.

I have several such costumes/bits and pieces worn by the late and great and the living Gielgud, Olivier, Redgrave, items worn by Melly, Cary Grant, Olivia deHaviland, two or three entire costumes from the original film " A Night to Remember " and some other bits/costumes from films and theatrical productions past and more recent.

Unlike the trousers above the ID and photos below was a lot easier and all of the above I have been able to attribute to.

I found this amongst my lot the other day.

Not sure how I came to own it, I have the boots and the hat somewhere.

One of the photos is an Alamy stock photo the rest are mine.

The jacket below is circa 1971 and designed by Tazeena Firth

Anyways, thought I'd share it.

Attached Files:

2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

How wonderful! I don't know if your question is rhetorical, but yes, a costume can be vintage as long as it's—vintage!

MagsRags likes this.
  3. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Wow. Very cool, even without the Judi Dench sweat! Er, I mean..... perspiration. And great to have the provenance.

Theatrical costumes designed to represent another era are dual personality, in a way. Yours is 1971 vintage - you would need to know when & where that version of Merchant was set to know exactly what historical era the costumer was going for.

Midge likes this.
  4. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi Maggie,

No it were a serious question, I didn't know, now I do, thanks.:)

denisebrain and MagsRags like this.
  5. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Thanks Maggie,
    Good points, hmmm, I assumed 15th century but maybe not, will have to try and find out.

MagsRags likes this.
  6. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Be sure to add the costume designer's name to your provenance!

7. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

8. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Wonderful!

And I agree with Maggie:

9. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

wow, congratulations on your fascinating collection!!

10. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

The Museum of the City of NY has the Mainbocher costumes from The Sound of Music.
    Claire