1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can any Brits suggest a decent rust remover?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by emmapeelpants, Oct 8, 2005.

1. emmapeelpants

emmapeelpants Alumni

I know I've heard about rust removers available in the US, but I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for over here. I have a silver dress which arrived covered in, what looks like, rust marks - so obviously the product needs to be okay to use on metallic fabrics.

Any ideas?? I'm stumped :puzzled:

Liz

2. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

hi liz,

the only rust remover i have used is 'hg stain away - rust' with a fair degree of success, and that was on some 50's covered buttons fabric.

obviously you need to test for colour fastness anyway as you need to dampen it, but i wouldn't have thought the metallic finish would be affected adversely.

http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/Product.asp?iProductID=35390

it does actually state at the top of the bottle 'removes stains from textiles left by rust' - although not menioned in the description! obviously i can't blithely tell you to go ahead and use it with guaranteed success but i think it's well worth a cautious try as it's cheap enough!

3. emmapeelpants

emmapeelpants Alumni

Thank you!!!! Do you know if it's available in shops, because I just baulked at the £3.95 postage cost (although I could order some others to make it worth my while) ;)

Liz

4. Hattysattic

did you browse the others too? i've just decided i need them all...
    anyway yes, didn't read postage sorry! i got mine from the local hardware shop -which is admittedly fairly well stocked.
    let me know if you get stuck and i can always post some to you. i started browsing and found these cleaning tips (scroll down for the rust section). worth a go on something less important? think i may try it!
    http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/utilityroom/stain removal PS.htm

5. emmapeelpants

emmapeelpants Alumni

I know, they all look like little tiny bottles of miracles!! :D I'll have a hunt around the local shops, see if they have it (or something similar).....

Liz

6. emmapeelpants

emmapeelpants Alumni

Actually, I'm wondering if my situation is slightly different in that the fabric could well be metallic which would be why it has rust marks (rather than it being in contact with something rusty...)

Liz

7. Hattysattic

aaaaah, yes i see what you mean. i think then you would need to make sure you dry the treated areas very quickly so they don't 're-rust'?
    where's hollis.. she will know!