1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone help identify the age of this scarf

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Yvonnescarf, May 20, 2022.

1. Yvonnescarf

Yvonnescarf Registered Guest

Hi
    New to this forum. Just got this vintage looking scarf which I love but can not find out whether it is 1950s or 1970s. 4F6F83A8-A2DC-4F54-BCF0-80283CCF3317.jpeg

It seems to be Liberty but not sure
    Can anyone help?

Attached Files:

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

As I am not from the UK, please forgive this uninformed question, but what Queen Elizabeth II celebration was there in the 1950's, and in what year? That will help narrow my search.

3. Yvonnescarf

The coronation was 1953 but I do not know if this is it. The scarf looks 1950 to me.

4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I found this for Queen Elizabeth II's 1953 coronation. Please do not reprint this photo, which is apparently copyrighted. I posted it here for educational purposes only.

upload_2022-5-20_14-33-10.png

5. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

A 1953 article which describes at least one of the coronation scarves states: "A 27-inch silk scarf design reflecting the Coronation has all of the emblems of the United Kingdom surrounding the royal Cypher of Queen Elizabeth II. The emblems of the British Commonwealth, Wattle of Australia, Fern of New Zealand, Maple of Canada and the Protea of South Africa are bordered with a lace-like design taken from the Coronation ruff of Elizabeth I." I believe this describes your scarf, as you can see the plants surrounding the cypher of Queen Elizabeth II, ferns in the center of the scarf, maple leaves, a lace-like border, etc.

6. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

This 1953 ad should confirm for you that your Liberty scarf commemorates the 1953 coronation.

CoronationScarfSketch1953Ad.jpg

Jonathan likes this.
  7. Yvonnescarf

Thank you so much. I have looked on the internet for hours and could not find anything. You are amazing! where are you living?

8. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

9. Yvonnescarf

Well thank you from Windsor England. Although the colours are different it does appear to be the same design and a wonderful thing.

10. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

11. Fabulous!
    I love Liberty scarves and I love and collect British monarchy stuff. (I also love Windsor, UK!)
    I have two Liberty scarves from the 1937 coronation of George VI and Elizabeth. :)