1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone help me date this set?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by LeAnne Lerner, Jun 5, 2023.

1. LeAnne Lerner

LeAnne Lerner Registered Guest

It’s a 2 piece set and the only label says A Casual Design by Linda. The “play suit” if that’s what it is, has built in underwear, metal Talon zipper, functional buttons up the front, and 2 hooks/loops on the halter neck. The plaid in the front features two huge pockets. The skirt is very short, hence the built-in underwear. The overcoat layer is unlined, very light weight and just has those 2 big buttons, plaid collar, and hidden pockets on the sides. There were shoulder pads at some point that aren’t with it anymore, only the snaps to attach them remain. The ivory fabric seems synthetic, and the plaid may be cotton, or just have some cotton in it. Do you think it’s 50s? Most of the clothing I bought from the estate was 40s-60s, and almost all of it had designer labels in it that I could find in the label resource to help date them. I’m not exactly sure what this set is, or how old it is. Thank you for any help!

IMG_3142.jpeg IMG_3123.jpeg IMG_3136.jpeg IMG_3149.jpeg IMG_3165.jpeg IMG_3171.jpeg IMG_3169.jpeg IMG_3163.jpeg IMG_3162.jpeg IMG_3156.jpeg

2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

What a great design! Seriously love it!

I'm absolutely not sure when it's from, but I want to say about 1950.

LeAnne Lerner likes this.
  3. LeAnne Lerner

Thank you so much, I was stumped! I couldn’t find anything else very similar, so don’t even really know what to call it.

4. I want to agree with '50s but I'm thrown out by that very short skirt on the coat, and to a lesser degree, the playsuit - but then if it has built in shorts I'd expect that to be short. Unusual.

5. LeAnne Lerner

Thank you! (I’m confused by almost everything about it, but it’s cute!)

6. Hollie Point

Hollie Point VFG Member

This is definitely late 1940s to early 1950s and it is fantastic! Nice find!

7. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Is it a bathing suit/beach playsuit and cover up? If so, 1940s, especially with the now missing shoulder pads.

8. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I have looked at this several times and agree that it's '40s - and a really fun find!

9. LeAnne Lerner

Thank you so much!

10. LeAnne Lerner

Thank you so much!

11. LeAnne Lerner

Thank you so much, I truly appreciate it!