1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can this be an authentic 1930 dress?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by veni creator, Jun 26, 2022.

1. veni creator

veni creator Registered Guest

Hello! Recently I found this dress, and it looks like a 1930 gown to me. However, I can’t be sure as I haven’t found garments like this before.
    There were no labels except for the small one which says 40. I’m not sure about the material, but it's definitely synthetic.
    I would be grateful if you told me your thoughts about this dress!
    photo_2022-06-26 21.30.57.jpeg photo_2022-06-26 21.31.04.jpeg photo_2022-06-26 21.31.09.jpeg photo_2022-06-26 21.31.15.jpeg photo_2022-06-26 21.31.37.jpeg photo_2022-06-26 21.31.41.jpeg photo_2022-06-26 21.31.44.jpeg

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I would lean it more into the 40s - what is the opening? I ask because it looks more like a nightdress to me, and I suspect it originally had a sash belt to cinch it in a bit...

3. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

The lace edging is giving me a nightgown vibe as well. That's not to say that a modern girl might wear it all sorts of places!

Seems more likely to be rayon than a synthetic.

4. veni creator

Thank you, could you specify what information about opening do I need to provide? Should I send a more detailed photo?

5. veni creator

Yes, I think it might be rayon!

6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

We'd like to know how it opens - does it have a side opening for example, with a zipper or snaps...? And yes, if you could post a photo of that.

7. veni creator

It opens with three buttons on top.

8. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

SO no side zip or hook and eye or button closure? In that case it's a nightdress, I would think c. 1940ish. There was an article in LIFE magazine in 1939 or 1940... I have it around here somewhere... that talks about how hard it is to distinguish between nightgowns and evening gowns, so they were aware of the design similarities at the time.

9. veni creator

Thank you for the information!