1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can this lovely party dress be saved? It has a sticky zipper.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Lark Aspen, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Lark Aspen

Lark Aspen Registered Guest

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area and if it is let me know so I can post this in its proper place. I rescued a gorgeous 50's brocade party dress from an end of the line GW outlet store, where they send the unsellable items that eventually end up being sent off to become rags etc. I am sure some of you have shopped at the GW outlet and know what I mean. The dress is so beautifully vibrant and near flawless with the exception of a stiff zipper. Is there anything I can carefully apply to the zipper to get it working again with out harming the beautiful fabric? I figured if I could find the right substance I could apply it super carefully with a q-tip. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. The zipper is full length up the back of the dress, so my other pain staking option will be to replace the whole zipper by hand. The teeth of this metal zipper seem dry and stiff but all the teeth of the zipper are present. It is not rusted though. I can get the zipper to work but it gets stuck and is difficult. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this. I delight in rescuing damaged dresses.

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Hi there, there are several things you can try. If the zip is simply stiff and not damaged you may well be successful.

Graphite powder is used to lubricate metal parts in machinery and locks. So a simple and clean way to loosen a metal zip is to run a pencil over it so the pencil graphite gets onto the teeth. If you have a choice use the softest pencil you have ( eg B rather than H). Rub it where the teeth meet, and move the zip pull as you go.

Beeswax is another option, again solid so little risk of spillage, again just rub it over the zip. Household candle wax can also be used.

Although light machine oil will also work (eg sewing machine oil), because of the risk of it getting onto the fabric I would avoid that.

With all of these, start with a little of the substance, see how it works, than add more if necessary. That's a good general rule for applying anything to anything!

Let us know how you get on.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  3. morning-glorious

morning-glorious VFG Member

Great tips! I've had luck fixing a sticky zipper using a wax candle before.
    Jen

Retro Ruth likes this.
  4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Lark does it get stuck at random points each time or a particular point more often? Getting stuck at the waist seam is common, and is usually attributed to a replacement zip (or alteration involving the zip) being sewn in too close at this point.

5. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Along with Melanie's suggestion, look carefully at the back of the zipper.
    Sometimes there are are threads or bits of the fabric stuck in the zipper. Tweezers help with threads.
    Marian

6. Lark Aspen

Lark Aspen Registered Guest

YAY! What an abundance of helpful suggestions!! I am so excited to get started. Pinkcoke- It does get stuck in several random places each time I zip and the teeth are very stiff from age and degradation(not rust) but the teeth are intact,not broken. Jen- I found a video that used paraffin wax so I think the candle suggestion sounds like a good one. Thanks again everyone for being so awesome. Off I go to rescue this dress! Marian- I have had that happen to me many times (the thread getting caught in the teeth/having to carefully pull it out) but thanks for the advice as I never thought to try tweezers. I have always used a thread ripper and tiny scissors, which is not very safe for the garment. Thank you so much!! I truly appreciate the help on this dress more than you know. It has just been sitting in my closet looking so lonely. It is a hot little designer number that deserves to be worn and loved again by someone.

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I have had luck with graphite powder that you can buy in a squeeze bottle for lubricating old door locks, especially on cars. Works very well, and although it is dark grey powder, it brushes off fabric and doesn't stain.

8. I've found that a bar of old-fashioned Ivory Soap works great to lubricate a recalcitrant zipper.

9. jazzbug

jazzbug Alumni

Sorry I am late to the party on this, but just thought you guys might like to know there is a commercial product that is made to alleviate the zipper problem!

It is a bit hard to find, though. I find one here and there at the odd dry cleaner or shoe repair type places, but I have found it online and include the link to CleanersSupply.com along with a photo for where to buy.

It has always worked well for me (does not stain fabric).
    [​IMG]

10. Linda March

Linda March Registered Guest

you can just use some soap. I usually fixed any kind of zipper with this trick

11. I second the soap route. That ones worked for me in the past. However, I'm going to look for that zipper lube and check it out.

12. Wax and soap have usually worked for me, but thanks, Laurie, for the tip on Zipper Lube....never heard of it!

13. Just successfully unstuck a grippy zipper with bar soap today...

Pinkcoke likes this.
  14. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

what do you do for those older 'invisible' zips where the zip fabric covers the teeth and goes through the zipped head with them? I have trouble with several of these...