1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you help me date this?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by claireshaeffer, Mar 18, 2017.

1. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

This bolero is black velvet with gold leather and bead trims.
    Many thanks 01222833.jpg 01222834.jpg 01222837.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Claire,

That is lovely. Can you show the interior, and is it lined? This is just a guess on my part, as I cannot feel or see it in person. Perhaps 1930s, circa early - mid decade. The style looks right for that time period, and also the materials. I have run across a small number of 1930s garments (and 1 or 2 hats) over the years that used leather as trimming, and memory serves me the leathers were metallic gold or silver.

I love the way the designer used the leather as flowers. the jacket reminds me a bit of Schiaparelli in overall look.

I just get that sense, but of course it is just a guess.

3. claireshaeffer

That's helpful. I'm just moving photos around today and found it. I'm trying to avoid real work--like my taxes. I'll look for the jacket. It's in very good condition; I bought it several years ago because of the trim.

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks 30s to me as well, Claire. Lovely piece!

5. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Beautiful! :wub:

As with Barbara, the bolero silhouette and witty/surreal trim made me flash on Schiaparelli.

6. claireshaeffer

The lining appears to be rayon or acetate, machine sewn.