1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you help me find out the year this dress was released?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Brynn O'Connor, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Brynn O'Connor

Brynn O'Connor Registered Guest

Dress 1.jpeg I recieved this glorious dress after my great grandmother had passed away. I have always loved this dress and recently I've become more curious about it. The designer is Jonathan Martin. I researched the desiger for two hours trying to find out his history and the history of this dressa nd I couldnt find anything. I also tried researching the dress by description of it and the designer and still didnt find anything. The main thing that I'm looking for is the year. Dress 1.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. joules

joules VFG Member

Brynn, it will be difficult to narrow this down to an exact year, as it was a mass market brand, sold at department stores. The company was based in L.A.

I would guess somewhere in the late 80s or 90s, thereabouts, with the made in China, rayon fabrication, and the way the print looks.

Here is an article in which the company is mentioned, and it appears that it began manufacturing in the late 70s.
    http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Leadi...nathan+Martin+to+Participate+in...-a050179290

3. I agree with Joules in that it will be hard to narrow it down to a particular year unless someone from the company can help, but the style, fabric and labels look mid '90s to me.

4. Brynn O'Connor

Brynn O'Connor Registered Guest

Thank you so much for your help, I really apreciate you taking the time to respond and share your knowlegde with me.

joules likes this.
  5. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

it looks newer to me - the long skinny horizontal label, and content tag. late 90s or early 2000s. it is a pretty print.

joules likes this.
  6. joules

joules VFG Member

Sure thing, Brynn! Thanks for your question.

It could very well be that recent, I agree, Joan.

7. I agree it could be that recent too: mid '90s is the earliest I think but late '90s or 2000s is not out of the question.

joules likes this.