1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you help with identifying and dating this item?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by littleextra, Mar 4, 2008.

1. littleextra

littleextra Registered Guest

[​IMG][/img]

Hi!

I recently found this pretty little piece and I was wondering if anyone could give me any information on a date or what it might be. I'm guessing it might be a corset cover or camisole.

There is a light pink ribbon running through the neckline and the shoulder straps are a light pink also.

It does have a tag--it is black and white. At the top it says Bel Broid Lingerie. Underneath that is a triangle with a butterfly and at the bottom it says BLC with the L being the larger letter. Beneath this it says This garment is made of Tarant...and then I can't read the rest of the letters.

Any info would greatly help. And one more question--exactly what was the difference between a camisole and corset cover? Were they used interchangeably?

Thank so much!

Jennifer

2. ehappy

ehappy Registered Guest

The only thing I see in search in regards to Bel Broid is a pair of knickers held in a museum...here's the description they have of the knickers, although I think yours might fall into the later dating range of 1915 and quite possibly into the 20's. Can you post a pic of the tag?

Description of knickers:
    pale blue lawn, French knickers elasticated at waist, seams centre front and back, wide legs trimmed with bands of white machine lace with band of lawn between trimmed with three fine horizontal tucks, label Bel Broid Lingerie, worn by Mrs Ellen Chapman who sent away to Ireland for them, about 1910 to 1915
    NWHCM : 1986.105.3 : C

3. ehappy

ehappy Registered Guest

The museum goes on to state the place of production for the knickers:

Ireland, Republic of (Eire)

4. thevintagebungalow

thevintagebungalow VFG Member

I'm terrible at dating earlier pieces, especially undergarments. ehappy (Hi Angie!) has found some great information. There are some members who are far more knowledgeable in this area who will come along soon.

5. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

A corset cover would be reasonably fitted so as to create less bulk and would button up the front. A camisole usually is less fitted in thinner fabric and does not button as the corset over it would drive the buttons into the skin. That does look like a late Teens, early 1920s camisole with that soft dropped waist. This is also a little late for corset covers as the heavily boned corset disappears around this time.

Lei can tell you even more!

Hollis

6. ehappy

ehappy Registered Guest

**Hi, Carrie** :)

7. Therese Kieran

Therese Kieran Registered Guest

Hi Jennifer,

I'm researching Bel-Broid for a poetry/art project - do you still have the piece by any chance or even a photo of it..?

Regards,

Therese, Belfast

8. Therese Kieran

Therese Kieran Registered Guest

Hi - this relates to my current research for a poetry collection and exhibition - is there any chance you might have a photo of the French knickers or indeed as worn by Mrs Ellen Chapman? It's a long shot, I know! Regards, Therese from Belfast

9. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Therese,

It looks like Jennifer hasn't been in the forums since 2009, but I sent her a message just in case.

That sounds like an interesting project you have going—I hope we can find the OP of this thread!