1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you identify these "ties" ?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by MaryLC, Feb 21, 2019.

1. MaryLC

MaryLC Registered Guest

I have a Miss Betsy wedding dress from the 50s that has 9 "ties" or "strings" sewn onto the underside of the skirt, below waist level. They each have different colored thread at the tips (2 orange, 2 red, 2 green, 3 purple) they cascade down the side seams with some lower along the center seam.

Does anyone know what they were used for ? I thought maybe because of the color coding there may have been a slip that was meant to be fastened to these ties somehow ? Thanks for any info/ideas.

20190221_100842.jpg 20190221_095007 (1).jpg 20190221_095033.jpg 20190221_095042.jpg

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I can't quite figure them out from your photos, but if they are in color pairs, could like colors be intended to tie together? To hike the gown up for dancing later?

EDITED TO ADD: I see you said there were three purple ones, but could one purple one be missing?

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Does your gown have a closure/s in back, and what type are they? I wonder if these ties were used to alter the shape of the gown after it was put on by the bride. To make the skirt portion closer to the lower body, with more of a column silhouette? So it would be more narrow in front and fuller in back. Just a thought, not at all sure.

4. MaryLC

MaryLC Registered Guest

I suppose there might be one missing. It's all so strange. I've never seen anything like this in a dress before. ???

5. MaryLC

MaryLC Registered Guest

Yes, it has buttons with loops. It could be for shaping. ?? I'm going to hang it inside out and post pics. Maybe it will make more sense then.

6. For bustling? I remember my gown had strategically placed hooks/eyes for bustling the train after the ceremony. My maid of honor accompanied me to my last fitting in order to learn how to bustle my dress!

7. MaryLC

MaryLC Registered Guest

I thought of that as well ! I think I need to play around with them more.

8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I thought of a bustle for the train, but why would the ties be on the underside the skirt? Or are the ties on the inside of the train itself?

I look forward to seeing the gown hung up or on a dress form. Interesting to find out exactly how they work and why.

9. MaryLC

MaryLC Registered Guest

I hung the dress up inside out. It was hard to see the ties, so I drew them in. Also, the colors became more apparent when I cleaned the dress. Looks like there aren't 3 purple ties after all. There is a pinkish one with no match. And to make it stranger, they are all symmetrical except the green and red one on the bottom. What the heck ??

Attached Files: