1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you please date this photo?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Dick Marti, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Dick Marti

Dick Marti Registered Guest

0F32B821-B89F-4CCC-8D6B-1B5668D80F44.jpeg The man is Minor W. Page (1841-1935) of Landrum, SC. The woman is his wife. He is the brother of my great-greatgrandfather. Can the photo be dated? I have only a digital copy. I don’t know who has the original.

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Are you sure of the identity of the two people? There isn't a lot to go on, partly because they aren't uber fashionable people, but from what I am looking at I am thinking it's more likely circa 1910. His turn-down collar, and her gathered front bodice with lace dickey inset are typical of that period. Her centre parted hairstyle and his unruly beard are old fashioned for 1910, but not impossible - they look middle aged, but he doesn't look 70ish - they look like they are in their 40s to me, but the clothing isn't 1880s.

3. Dick Marti

4. Dick Marti

Thanks for your comments. And, yes, I am positive about their identity. He was in the SC Artillery in the Civil War.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  5. MaryLC

MaryLC Registered Guest

I read a little of your inquiry on ancestry.com. If he never cut his beard after the war, it would definitely be shaggy by 1910 and Landrum is a very rural area, even today, so the unfashionable center part in her hair would make sense. Jonathan probably has it right by dating it 1910.

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I think it is earlier, maybe 1890s.