1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Cod Classic by Porder

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by wire9vintage, Oct 18, 2012.

1. wire9vintage

wire9vintage Registered Guest

Hello all. I'm looking for information about the 60s-era label "Cape Cod Classic by Porder." Any ideas? I keep ending up with dead ends!

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Here is a link to their trademark information. It notes that Chas. Proder Mfg's Cape Cod trademark registration date was 1964 and that the trademark is expired.

3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Here is a bit of additional trademark information.

And Charles Porder's 1987 obituary noted that he was the retired owner of Charles Porder Mfg in Lowell, Mass . and that he owned and operated his women's dress manufacturing company for more than 40 years until his retirement in 1976.'

4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Just one additional note that I found a 1950 ad for a Cape Cod Classics dress by the Charles Porder Mfg. Co., so the Cape Cod dresses clearly predate the trademark registration.

5. wire9vintage

wire9vintage Registered Guest

Thank you so much for that link. It's frustrating to have a label and not be able to find any information at all about it! I have two dresses by them, and have seen one or two online that look more 70s. There is a "sold" listing out there that states this was a "high-end" label...but I kind of doubt that. I personally like the quality of my dresses (one actually belonged to my grandmother, which she wore as a house dress and I've been wearing for nearly 25 years!...so I can speak to the fact they hold up!), but I don't think they are anything special. Just a good, sturdy housedress that can take washing and line drying for decades on end.

And I really want to know more! Thanks again for the trademark information. It's helpful to have a full name to link to the company!

6. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

I don't have anything with that label, but I'm pretty sure I remember either wearing them in 60s & 70s, or seeing them in my mom's wardrobe. If my memory is accurate, they weren't "upscale" but sold in stores that were in between the low-end and exclusive stores. Like, not Ward's (though Ward's junior lines were surprisingly nice), but not Bergdorf's, either! We didn't have upscale chain stores in my small town, but we had a moderately high-end department store and I do distinctly remember seeing that label in it, even if my mom or I didn't have anything with the label.

There were so many nice labels out there back then, not fancy designer ones, but good quality, stylish, well-made lines. Though not terribly expensive in their day, they look "high-end" compared to today's equivalent mid-range labels. That might be why some sellers today assume, or try to pass off, those labels as high end, when, really, they weren't.

7. inkthomas

inkthomas Registered Guest

i worked for chas. porder for years..................maybe I can answer whatever guestions you have..............

8. inkthomas

inkthomas Registered Guest