1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caprisport boutique Italian vintage information

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by grace8899, Jan 2, 2023.

1. grace8899

grace8899 Registered Guest

I have a lovely bottle green velvet skirt with an Italian vintage label which locates the boutique to be in capri Italy. I wondered if anyone has any info on the boutique- I've found googling not very helpful- perhaps I need to start googling in Italian

20230102_112904.jpg
    Here is the label above- if I Google the address it comes up as this
    Screenshot_20230102-114628_Maps.jpg
    If you click to call them the phone number is the same as well

These are the only other vintage examples I've managed to find online-

Screenshot_20230102-121436_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20230102-120952_Etsy.jpg

Unsure if my skirt is perhaps missing the Adrian's original label

But yeah, any info at all would be great- I'd love to know more :)

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Looks like this was an independent boutique once that probably sold items by different makers designers. In my view, that the other two items you've found have a label from a maker/brand and yours doesn't, doesn't necessarily mean that yours should have the same label. Cavalli probably took over the shop premises at some point, but if the "old" shop was well-known and there maybe for a few decades, they might have decided to keep on the old name in tandem with Cavalli. I am guessing that if that takeover happened not too recently, it may be hard to find many traces of the old one on the internet. Newspaper archives or trade registers might hold clues, but they would obviously be in Italian.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  3. Marxist-Linenist

Marxist-Linenist Registered Guest

It was once very common for small independent multibrand boutiques in Italy to produce their own lines of clothing. Or perhaps more common still, to get third parties to make clothes for them and then sell them under their own name. But sometimes in-house production took place too. Some major Italian brands we know today started life in this way.

I often come across proto "collabs" between high-end boutiques and (at the the time) well-known brands. E.g. "made by XX well-known brand exclusively for XX high-end boutique, Roma" (or wherever). I've even found international collaborations of this kind, such as a Florentine boutique getting a British tie-maker to produce neckties in the UK (today these roles would more likely be reversed). The "Adrian's Original" label you found is probably an example of this. Although I admit I've never heard of either Adrian's nor this boutique before.

Generally I find very little info about these small-town boutiques from googling. Occasionally you'll come across a local newspaper article from the 90s mentioning that such and such a store or manufacturer has shut its doors, or an obituary for the owner. But rarely much else (although there are exceptions). I briefly tried looking in Italian and basically found the same business/phone directory listings that come up in English and nothing more. As Midge said above, in all likelihood the store closed too long ago to have left much trace in the digital realm

However, the Cavalli connection is interesting. Whatever you might think of Cavalli (me personally? trash), its an internationally-known brand with multiple stores across the world. It strikes me as highly unusual for a label of this caliber to retain the original name of a retail space they've taken over. Can you imagine Gucci, as part of their branding, keeping the name of the mom and pop store that previously occupied their new retail space?

Since at least the end of WWII (and likely even under Mussolini before that), Capri has been a playground for the extremely wealthy. Any stores that set up shop there will cater to their tastes (and budget). So we can already assume that Capri Sport was a classy establishment. Perhaps the kind of place that Kennedy Onassis might have popped into. The fact that Cavalli deemed it a sound business move to retain the Caprisport name suggests that the boutique was an extremely well-known Capri establishment, one that (within those circles at least) carries more weight than the internationally-recognized Cavalli label itself.

Unfortunately though, these are not the circles I move in, so I can shine no more light than this. What's clear though is that your skirt was likely to have been a high-end piece.

Retro Ruth and Midge like this.
  4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

In a quick look at one database to which I have access, I found two very similar Italian ads for Adrian's Caprisport; one ad was from 1987 and one was from 1988. This is a Google translation of the relevant Italian text in the 1987 ad...

CaprisportAdriansAdTranslation1987C.jpg

and this is from the 1988 ad...

CaprisportAdriansAdTranslation1988.jpg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
    Vintagiality likes this.
  5. Marxist-Linenist

Marxist-Linenist Registered Guest

"Made in Capri" is not a phrase you see very often these days.

Just to clarify Google's efforts, in the Italian it's the polka dots that are giant, not the dress itself. Not that it will make much difference to the OP either way.

Anyway, one thing that's clear from the wording of the first Italian ad is that Adrian's was the mother brand, and Caprisport was one of its 2 retail spaces (Le Parisienne being the other). Did Cavalli buy Adrian's? Doesn't seem likely, but I guess it's not impossible.