1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carbona Stain Devils and other products

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by CaptMicha, Jun 19, 2017.

1. CaptMicha

CaptMicha Registered Guest

Well, I'm having a hard time with stains! I'm sure I'm setting some of them. I'm reading a lot but am still a newb. It's very hard for me to ID types of stains. (Would very much recommend some good resources for learning how to ID stains!)

Anyways, I already have A BUNCH of stain fighting products, but I was thinking about buying the Carbona Stain Devils System 1-9 (all products in that line), as well as their Color Run Remover, and their Color & Dirt Grabber, and possibly their Super White, because it sounds like it may be safer than bleach for whites.

Anyone know and like these products? I'm at that point where it still pays for me to buy less than perfect pieces because they've been passed over and are easier to find, and also because they're cheaper. I do think it may be less expensive in the long run to just invest in a good line of cleaning products.

Thanks for input.

2. yumyumvintage

yumyumvintage VFG Member

I would not buy the cleaning system.

CaptMicha likes this.
  3. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I have used their products with only moderate success. Most require being able to thoroughly rinse the stain area afterwards, so you have to be able to get a large portion of the textile wet. Then, you are very likely to have a tide ring, so you need to either wash the entire garment, or have it dry-cleaned. I have used the ink remover - that's pretty good, but leaves a tide line. The rust remover - only variable success. The blood and dairy - not very successful.

I think this line is probably most effective on reasonably fresh stains. On really old vintage stains - not so much. I have found that most of the stain solutions I found online to be that way. Intended for modern clothing and textiles and newer stains.

I actually do better with Foley's spray cleaner.

CaptMicha and yumyumvintage like this.
  4. yumyumvintage

yumyumvintage VFG Member

You have to be careful what you buy especially spotting something which can't cleaned very well. Fabrics are delicate and some stains do not clean well and you end up detroying an item trying to clean it. I have learning this the hard way. The wonderful people in this forum have provided me with great ways to clean vintage items.

-Chris

CaptMicha likes this.
  5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Hollis, is this what you are referring to? We use Folex a lot, it's a carpet cleaner and does works well but can also leave a ring.

Code:
    http://foleydistributing.com/catalog/p/PAT-PKSHEEN4/Patriot-Chemical-3-Kleen-Sheen-Versatile-Spray-Cleaner-Gal/

CaptMicha likes this.
  6. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Yes - that's it! Folex. It can indeed leave a ring. I use it on woolens and weaves that aren't likely to ring. Never on satins, taffetas, silks, etc.

I think the main thing about buying pieces that need stain removal is to remember that you're going to have quite a few failures. The woolens, cottons and linens are possible, the silks and acetate success stories are few and far between.

CaptMicha and yumyumvintage like this.
  7. CaptMicha

CaptMicha Registered Guest

Would you mind sharing some one of those ways? I'm doing a bunch of reading for specifically vintage clothing, but nothing is really working all that well.

I have read the cleaning tips on this site. Not the forum yet though, I forgot.