1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Care and Storage question

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by White Rabbit, Jun 30, 2017.

1. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Registered Guest

I recently treated myself to the purchase of one of the iconic Bill Gibb leather outfits; the skirt and jacket. (It cost a fortune so don't torment yourself with the idea I snapped up a bargain)

However I am wondering how to care for it. Should I treat the leather with anything? Is it best stored hanging up in the daylight or lying flat (unfolded) in the dark?

Any advice would be gratefully received

INVINTAGEV likes this.
  2. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

A cool , dry place is usually good for leather. Not an attic or a basement! Most leather treatments change the color of the leather, darkening it a bit, so I'd leave that for a pro.

3. pinky-a-gogo

pinky-a-gogo VFG Member VFG Past President

I wouldn't treat the leather either-- a lot of times certain leather treatments are the cause of the leather getting mold growing onto the skin.

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

One small bit of advice is that if you box it instead of hanging, be sure to never put the box on the floor or under a bed, etc. Depending on your climate, mold can attack leather if it sits on the floor as temperature changes can cause slight moisture build up. If you do have to put it near the floor, make sure it has plenty of air flow under the box.

5. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Registered Guest

Many thanks for the help and advice. It sounds like damp should be my biggest concern, so i think I will hang them up and let the air circulate. I asked about treating the leather because in one or two places it looks like it is 'cracking', but from what you have said that is obviously not a home repair job.

Thank you again