1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catch of the day! Dior shoes - late 50s?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Midge, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

What a day...! Had the afternoon off, and after doing my grocery shopping, I popped into the local Caritas shop on the way home, just to have a look... Usually they have nice newr secondhand clothes, but nothing too spectacular or too old.

Weeellll, today they had two pairs of vintage Christian Dior shoes that were almost unworn. I went :jawdrop:, tried 'em on and bought them both, because they fit perfectly!

The first pair is by Roger Vivier, who made the Dior shoes from 1953 to 63 as far as I know.

[​IMG]
    I love this imaginative heel shape. Where would they go datewise? I'm guessing late 50s?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Could this be useful for the label resource?

[​IMG]
    The first numer is the size, that I get, then "B" is the width? I didn't even know about this before joining this forum. And the other numbers - something like a model number?

The other pair is marked just "Souliers Christian Dior - fabriqué spécialement pour Grieder" (Christian Dior shoes - made specially for Grieder). Grieder is THE traditional fashion department store in Zurich - it's been around since over 100 years and they sell all the prestigious labels. Something like Holt Renfrew I'd say.

[​IMG]
    I am a bit in doubt about dating these - so I'd be interested in what you say. Late 50s? Very early 60s? :scratchchin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    They're marked "Made in France" on the sole like the others too.

Karin

2. SCORE!!! Black pair look like a modified Louis heel - to die for!
    I think your dates are right, but hopefully others - Jonathan - will be along to confirm.

3. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Be still my beating heart, that black pair is amazing!

Score :cheer:

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Your good luck was with you today! Congrats on both finds!

5. nostalgic*collections

nostalgic*collections Registered Guest

Stunning! In great condition - what a fab find!

6. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

woo hoo, congratulations! great score :D

i had a pair of vivier for dior a while back, same insoles. yours look early 60s to me.

the ivory pair look later to me (shape of the toe). i believe jonathan said ages ago that that little shield embossed on the soles started sometime in the 80s.

curious to see what he'll have to say on both.

it was your lucky day!

7. ClubVintage

ClubVintage VFG Member

Wow, fabulous shoes! I love the black pair the best but the other pair is not too shabby. :jawdrop:

Congratulations on your score! :excited:

Cat

8. Well done! And in your size too - congrats!

Nicole

9. debutanteclothing

debutanteclothing VFG Board Member

Score!!! They are both beautiful and completely wearable. I'm thinking 60s on both. I don't think the light colored ones have that typical 80s heel and the vamp seems way higher up the top of the foot compared to 80s. I think they are mid 60s

10. coffeegrl

coffeegrl Registered Guest

Drool! Those are awesome, what I find! I love shoes, I'm taking my pictures of mine now and I'm SO happy looking at all the shoes I've aquired - but yours kick mine's butt's all over...I love tosee them though, becasue I wouldn't know, I'd think it was 80s or something lol - those are sweet!

11. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

THe Louis heeled Vivier for Dior's are wonderful. BEcause they are by Vivier for Dior, they could be at the cutting edge of the Louis heel, which I think was fall 1958? The other shoes are after Vivier and they look 64/65 to me but that hide outline on the sole is not first used until the late 70s - I thought, but perhaps I am wrong, or I am thinking of an Italian rule - these shoes are made in France so perhaps the 'real leather' symbol was used earlier in France because the shoes look mid 60s.

12. Midge

Thanks so much you all for your input and your knowledge! It certainly was one of those weak-knee moments when I had them in my hands at the shop :drooling22:. And I think the black ones are just absolutely to die for - they're soooo stylish!

This just shows again, why the "normal" thrift stores and charity-run second hands here in Zurich are the best ever hunting ground for anything vintage. You never know what you'll find, but they're all tops. These are the people who are called in to clear someone's house/apartment/attic and they usually take in everything - clothes, books, household wares, furniture... Plus I'm happy to spend my bucks there knowing the money goes to people who are less privileged than me.

Jonathan - that is puzzling about the off-white shoes, but I love them anyway. I've been trying to find out about the Grieder logo, when this particular logo was in use, but so far I haven't had any luck. Maybe I'll write them an e-mail and ask.

Karin

13. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Oh.my.god. What a find. You must've thought you'd died and gone to vintage-shoe heaven. They both are stunning, but those black ones are particularly delicious, and look like they are in wonderful shape!!!!

14. CasaDivaVintage

CasaDivaVintage Registered Guest

Freakin fabulous! I would've sat down on the floor right in the shop and cried! :adore:

15. joules

joules VFG Member

Great shoe hunting catch!
    I would be in that shop regularly, for the next month or so, if not every day of the year. :)

16. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

:party: absolutely beautiful!! hearty congrats, Karin!!

17. Midge

Thanks you all! I felt completely exhilarated when I got home with those shoes. My mother is already very envious of my find! *lol*

I've written to Grieder about the light shoes via their homepage, and got a very nice reply today, asking me to send them some photos. It'll be interesting to see what they can find out!

The shop is just around two corners and down the road, but usually by the time I get home from work, it's closed. But I know will be going there again... This is definitely not the kind of stuff they usually have, though. But I've been eyeing a Hermes scarf that they have in the shop window. The next shop window sale is on the 28th - keep my fingers crossed that I can make it!

Karin

18. Basilea_vintage

Basilea_vintage Registered Guest

Hi Karin

I now this is a 10 year old thread, but I have a pair just like that, without the Grieder Loga, but the I have a dress from Grieder with a label stating Grieder Modéle in the same font. Did you ever hear back from Grieder in regards to dating the logo? A little curious because it could help me date my dress :)

Thanks, Ditte
    Ig: Vintage rags galore

19. Midge

Hi Ditte,
    No, unfortunately I never got a further reply from Grieder... I have since sold these shoes (to the V&A no less...), but I still have an treasure the black ones.
    Karin

The Vintage Merchant likes this.