1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Celine 70s? shirt, sizing and how to wash it

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Katarzyna, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Registered Guest

Hi again :)

I also got this Celine shirt.

I believe it's the same model from the 70s photo ad. Do you agree?

Now, I have problem with translating the sizing. It says "50" - which I believe is Italian size 50, which would be 44 German and 46 French.

It seems the shirt was meant to be very tight (it's stretchy).
    But in today standards I think it might me smaller. 40-42? What do you think. How to size these tight 70s shirts?

It also has no care labels, and I'm wondering if I can hand wash it?

Attached Files:

GemGem likes this.
  2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

It does look like the photo in the ad, yes!

I am not sure about the size issue, but if you are talking about selling the shirt, I would go with the measurements without stretching and perhaps with a comfortable amount of stretch. It may have been designed for limited or no ease.

Since it is all cotton, it should washable by hand. I would use cool water.

GemGem and Katarzyna like this.
  3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Great find! Sizes have changed since then, and Italian sizing is different from German sizing, so I think the size 50 makes sense. But in the end, when you list it for sale, it's the measurements that matter, and I would list those, with a remark that this is a vintage size 50, probably Italian sizing, which has no comparison to today's sizing. I have a lot of vintage sizes 40 and 42 from the 60s and 70s, though I wear a current 34 to 36.