1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

celluloid, bakelite or plastic necklace

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Nonie, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Nonie

Nonie Registered Guest

I am hoping someone can help me date a necklace I found in France. Modern or vitage I like it anyway.
    The cream figure of eight links may be bakelite, can't see a seam. Tried rubbing these and flower drops - no smell. The other links and toggle closure are a dark brown metal.
    The bottom drop has a central mold mark on the back. The top 2 do not. The bottom one has mottled marks through it in a darker butterscotch shade.
    Hope someone has seen this type of necklace before.

Attached Files:

2. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

How cool and Egyptian Revival looking, with those lotus flowers. It looks like perhaps a plastic and celluloid combo. What does the clasp look like?

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  3. Nonie

Nonie Registered Guest

Yes, I couldn't think what the flowers were but of course lotus. I am now posting the clasp. Thanks for your input.

Attached Files:

4. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Thanks for posting the clasp, Nonie. I'm trying to get a reading on the metal. In the close-up pic, it appears that the dark color is more of a finish, rather than oxidation -- hard to tell when not in hand, however, I wonder if it is a newer piece made with older components.

If the distance around the neck is very tight, that may point to upcycling as well, however, let's see what others think.

5. Nonie

Nonie Registered Guest

Hello Laura, yes the toggle fastener and the links are a dull bronze colour. When looking at it through a loup, as I have just done, the ends of the toggle are a dark grey where the finish has worn. The drop sits around heart level so like a modern gold pendant above the level of the chest but not as tight as a choker. A good level to go with a low cut gown.
    Anyway maybe others will now comment. I was not convinced that it was old but also it just doesn’t fit with being modern, it is unisual to say the least.
    Nonie.

6. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

It is a great piece - I would agree with vintage cream and amber components and remade into a shorter necklace with new findings (toggle and jump rings) Having said that it's been done really tastefully.

7. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

It is a lovely piece! and I agree with Laura and Melanie's suggestion of it being upcycled.

8. Nonie

Nonie Registered Guest

9. Nonie

Nonie Registered Guest

Thank you for your comments. Upcycling makes sense as the toggle is not usual for these pieces, and I am gatheri g that they are normally longer. Strange in this small rural part of France for someone to go to the bother, they have been clever and artistic.
    I will leave this post for another day or so then close it as I think I have the answer.
    Unless someone comes up with another idea. Merci bien No ie

10. Nonie

Nonie Registered Guest

Thank you Mary I am struggling with the replies and seem to be copying peoples posts. Anyway thank you. Nonie