1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Can you help me date this ad? Also, what is a long coat yoke?
    Why is the lined jacket less than the one with a long coat yoke?

Many thanks, C

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    cmpollack likes this.
  2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Claire,

What a great ad, really nice to see a early ad for Chanel. I think the copywriter or typesetter made an error in capitalizing the "Y" in yoke. It should read "Long Coat, yoke and sleeve lined". So the shorter jacket has a full lining, and the long coat has only the yoke and sleeve being lined. So there is no "long coat yoke".

The photo is rather grainy, so I cannot see the details on the hats, but the dress, shoes and hats all are mid to late 192os. I am leaning to 1927-1928 ish.

My guess is the jacket is less $ simply because it is shorter in length.

Thanks for sharing this great photo.

cmpollack likes this.
  3. claireshaeffer

Thank you Barbara. Your note about the way it was written makes sense for the short coat to be less.

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I think its a 1926 or 1927 Rolls Royce Phantom, and the length of the coat with the tight cloche looks 27/28 to me too, so c. 1927?

cmpollack likes this.
  5. I agree with Barbara and Jonathan, and also wanted to mention that I don't think it's ad for Chanel, more than Best's is copying them. That's why "Chanel" is in inverted commas, and why it says "Best's makes them a fashion....at reasonable prices".

6. claireshaeffer

Nicole, I should have been more precise. It's for a Chanel copy. Based on my research, manufacturers and retailers had to pay a license fee to use the designer's name.

7. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Thanks for sharing this great ad, Claire--and thanks Barbara and Jonathan for shedding further light on it!

8. claireshaeffer

I think it's great fun that the hat and car were so helpful!

cmpollack likes this.