1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chanel Fake ? or Good?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by steve w, Aug 25, 2019.

1. steve w

steve w Registered Guest

Is this perhaps a fake? The dress is very well made - metal buttons - satin silk lining etc.. but the label looks odd and there are no other Chanel markings or labels on the dress.

Attached Files:

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The VFG doesn't authenticate items... however, there are a lot of danger signals on this one - the biggest being the two size fonts on the label.

3. steve w

steve w Registered Guest

Thanks Jonathan - Yes that was my concern as the label did seem odd ..

4. modamuzesi

modamuzesi Registered Guest

Before fashion industry globalized, it was not unusual for a small boutique or a seamstress to be named after a French couturier, in countries where French designers were not available. I have seen similar labels from Middle East, South America and Asia. Usually, intension was not fool people or fake the couture house, but to use a "posh" name. Whether calling it "authentic" or "not authentic" is a bigger discussion. Also, as the VFG doesn't authenticate items, I think it's safe to say it's NOT related to the House of Chanel founded by Coco Chanel.

I think it's an interesting piece.

5. steve w

steve w Registered Guest

Thank you I appreciate the insight - I am in two minds what to do with it in terms of reselling - my first instinct was to throw it away but it is an interesting dress and very well made ...

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

We cannot authenticate as has been mentioned. It certainly does not look like a Chanel, the patterns between the bodice and the skirt don't even align, so it is really not that well made.