1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

This is another suit which was photographed in Vogue, March 15, 1964. The tape number is 024313. I can't find the photo.
    The suit was badly treated by an earlier owner. The dress originally had a black silk bodice. It was removed to make a skirt.
    I'm trying to organize my records in the order in which they were made. I'll post some of these. I've used the tape numbers and photos from Vogue and Harper's Bazaar to determine the dates. Many museum pieces are incorrectly dated because the donor doesn't remember when it was bought.

I don't buy as much as I did, but I'm always looking for originals to go with my copies and copies to go with my originals. If the suit was photographed, it was probably copied.
    If you are interested, I'll post more of my photos.

Many thanks if you have a photo.

upload_2021-6-24_6-21-24.png

GemGem and poppysvintageclothing like this.
  2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Here is a quick snap for you. I can get a proper scan done when our intern returns tomorrow. Do you have a lot of examples of both real and copies of those real suits by Chanel? That could make for an interesting exhibition at the museum...
    Chanel Vogue March 15, 1964.jpeg

3. claireshaeffer

Here are 2 suits from the fifties.
    The Met has the houndstooth suit. My suit has squirrel buttons; the Met's has turtles. The # is 08147.
    The Prince of Wales check has fabric buttons with wire circles on the edges. Similar buttons were used by Schiap. The # is 11705.

upload_2021-6-24_6-37-30.png upload_2021-6-24_6-37-49.png

GemGem likes this.
  4. claireshaeffer

Jonathan, many thanks. What is the date of the photo?
    I have two sets of an orig. and a copy.
    One is the last collection 1971. It was photographed in Harper's Bazaar. It was an early purchase and had some moth damage when I bought it. The front is ok with the damage on the back of the jacket and waist of the skirt.
    The other was one of the suits Chanel took to Russia in 1967. The copy is a Davidow. I was surprised they bought the rights because the construction is difficult; and I wonder if it was put into production.
    41376 upload_2021-6-24_7-49-19.png upload_2021-6-24_7-48-56.png 33798

GemGem likes this.
  5. claireshaeffer

The two suits are not from the fifties. The numbers are after a suit on the cover of Elle in 1960. I'll get it together later.

GemGem likes this.
  6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The photo is from the March 15, 1964 edition of Vogue.

7. claireshaeffer

Jonathan, many, many thanks. C