1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chanel scarf help?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Den, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Den

Den Registered Guest

<div style="width:480px; text-align: center;"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://w274.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w274.photobucket.com/albums/jj255/jeanspics2008/6b7ea404.pbw" height="360" width="480">[​IMG][​IMG]</div>
    This Chanel scarf is one sided print, large, and lovely. However, I am not positive of its fabric content. It does have a wonderful soft texture like silk, but it has a little mark on the scarf where a snag or pin mark gives the texture an almost "acetate" like look.

Does anyone know if these large Chanel scarves are double sided or one-sided? My thoughts were that it might be a promotional scarf. There are no labels.

Would love some thoughts.
    D for
    FFJ

2. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Hi, I had a scarf identical to yours (but with a berry ground) pulled when I listed it last year.

Apparently it was a fake--according to a designer label maven here, thousands of scarves in the same design as yours and mine were made (in the 80s, I believe).

According to my colleague, the tip off is the "Chanel Paris" in the corner, which is in a font Chanel never used.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

3. Den

Den Registered Guest

Thank you, this will be good info for others

cmpollack,
    I am so glad that you said that. I wondered...

So, I bought it for (next to nothing) went to a good cause. My thought was that it was still lovely regardless, but wasn't positive about it being the real deal.

I think it is good to have this posted for others. Not sure what to do with it now.

4. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

One identification would be the hem. If it is Chanel, it should be hand-rolled. It looks like a napkin machine edge .

If you think it's fake, I'm interested in buying. I've decided I should consider writing a book about how to determine fakes instead of a sewing book.

I'm off to Chicago to teach Sat., but will be back Sunday.
    Let me know if you want to sell it. Claire

5. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

You know what, I think I'm going to eat my words...

I just took another look at a pic of the scarf I had (which I gave to my 17 year old niece--she got a big kick out of it being a vintage designer knockoff!), and there are definite differences from yours in the way the chains are done, plus the "Chanel Paris" is in a slightly different font, too, with the two words closer in size than in yours.

So hopefully I am totally wrong, and your scarf is the real deal (and if you got it for next to nothing, hooray for you!)

Hopefully someone who knows more about Chanel goods than me will come along soon to confirm!

And I'm sorry if I've misled you (which, again, I truly hope I have!)

6. Den

Den Registered Guest

Carrie,
    Thanks a bunch. I will do some more research. Stay tuned.

Claire,
    This definitely has an edge that has been machine sewn. I will try to take some better photos. Does not have the fine rolled edges. I just took a peek at some other Chanel scarves.
    Thanks again!

Denise at FFJ

7. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

the edges are rolled right, the fabric looks like satine, which is good silk imitation, machine stitched, don't know the logo, but then could be gift with purchase .

8. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

I hope you'll consider doing both, Claire!

9. Den

Den Registered Guest

Sarasattic,
    The edges are really fine. I am thinking Satine. It really does remind me of those (gift with purchase) type things. Thank you all for your help.

Cmpollack, "great eye!!!"

Claire,
    It is yours!!! You can contact me via my web site (contact us form). I would be glad to just send it to you. My preference is that this will act as a learning tool for someone else. Keep me posted in your endeavors. I like your concepts for both books. I am always trying to increase my library.
    Warmest regards,

Contact D at FFJ

10. claireshaeffer

More about the Chanel copies and other scarf copies. My advice is to look at the hems first. If it's the real thing, it will have a hand-rolled hem.

Look carefully because there are some hemming machines that make a very good rolled, not hand, hem.

This scarf has a napkin edge. This is called a merrow finish because it was originally made on a machine made by the Merrow Co.

The Hermes scarves have hand-rolled hems that are rolled to the right side.

Must go back to editing. I went to Chicago for a workshop on Sat. It focused on couture and Chanel. All went well and I had a great time even though there's much catch-up since I returned. Claire

11. claireshaeffer

Denise sent me her scarf and I compared the one I had with the new one.

My scarf has the same print but no Chanel Paris in the corner.

My scarf has the napkin edge finish and hers has a narrow machine (straight stitch) hem.

Does any one have an original in this print? I saw lots of different prints but not this one.
    Claire

12. Vintage Lady

Vintage Lady Registered Guest

Is this one real? DSC09658.jpg DSC09661.jpg

13. You already opened a thread about the scarf. I'm sure someone will be along to answer your question. If not today, possibly tomorrow. Please be patient.

14. Vintage Lady

Vintage Lady Registered Guest

Deborah,

Thank you for your response. I have been very patient. Do you have any advice for me?

15. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks as though no one here is familiar with your particular scarf.

Have you checked the hem on yours as that is a very important factor in determining if it is authentic.