1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charles Cooper?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by LorrelMae, Dec 8, 2007.

1. LorrelMae

LorrelMae Registered Guest

I have a two piece evening set. Feels like a silk blend. It's such a classic style, the set looks definitely 50's. The tag looks 80's. The only Charles Cooper I could find was listed with a Mollie Parnis, on the VFG site. Anyone know of him?

Thank you, in advance!

Sandi

*Edited because I said Christopher, instead of Charles!*

Oops!

2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Is this the label? The dress this came from I believe to be early 60s. [​IMG]

3. LorrelMae

Hello! No, it's only sewn on one side. I'll see if I can post it.

4. LorrelMae

Charles Cooper.

Sadly, I cannot figure out how to post an image. I need to get ready for work, I'll try again later.

The label is an off white printed ribbon (inexpensive) sewn on one side.

The skirt has been re-hemmed. Original hem was about an inch. Metal zipper. Maybe this is 40's?

I'll try to post the images somewhere.

5. vintageclothesline

vintageclothesline VFG Member VFG Past President

You can attach an image by using the option at the bottom. However, you do have to have some test in the post...something like here it is.

6. LorrelMae

7. vintageclothesline

okay, don't do the quick reply at the bottom. go over to post reply at the very right above the quick reply box. then you will see the attach photo at bottom. just remember to include text.

8. vintageclothesline

9. vintageclothesline

Here's the set..

It does look 50s. Is that a metal zipper?

10. denisebrain

Beautiful! It looks like 50s to me.

The dress I had was very lovely and well designed so I asked here if anyone had heard of Charles Cooper, and no one had at that time.

Here's that thread, but you can see the net was empty.

11. cotmyey

cotmyey VFG Member

From the book:

Twentieth-Century American Fashion By Linda Welters, Patricia Anne Cunningham---

Charles Cooper received a 'citation' in 1943, ---paraphrasing: something to do with the "American Fashion Critics Award" Cody award.

12. LorrelMae

Thank you, everyone!!!!

Yes, it's a metal zipper.

It was re-hemmed, shorter. The original hem is about 1".

The funny thing with the skirt; is that it wraps on the backside.

I thought maybe the set could be WWII era, because of the shallow hem, and inexpensive looking tag. The top has definite 50's details inside.

I'll stick with 50's!

I tried the link to Maggie's original post, it says I am "not permitted to view this forum". :(

Thanks again!

Thank you, Linda, for posting my photos! I'll figure out how to post photos tonight.

13. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

From New York Fashion:
    " By the 60s, Charles Cooper for Cooper Couture has established itself as a California design entity. Despite its name, it featured ready-made clothes, which, at $100 - $300, were not the most expensive ready-to-wear. Cooper specialized in clean, bright colors. like orange and mint green and in peppy prints, perhaps of black and white. Like most American designers pf the period, he used wool fabrics for cocktail and evening clothes..... "
    And from the same text: He was born in Toronto and had been designing since 1927 when he was written up in 1940 Harper's Bazaar. Known for his fluid design and crepe dresses in the 1940s.

It looks like your dress is from his fluid crepe period into the 50s. And that the "Charles Cooper for Cooper couture" label may show up in the later 50s or 60s. I have seen it in a early 60s black and white print dress here.

Hollis

14. denisebrain

I guarantee, you didn't miss anything!

Hollis, thank you, I can't believe I didn't check New York Fashion when I was searching for Charles Cooper! Sounds like one that needs to wind up in the label resource.

15. LorrelMae

Thank you again!

I believe it is silk crepe. Definitely feels silk!

Thanks!

Sandi

16. Patricia.Christine

Patricia.Christine Registered Guest

Charles Cooper is my husband's late uncle. His career started in New York and he moved to California in the early to mid 50's. He was known for dressing stars in the late 50's and 60's, especially Joan Fontaine! His designs were regularly featured in Vogue magazine. He died at the age of 69 in 1969 in his home in Hollywood Hills...which signaled the end of his design house, Cooper Couture. I hope you enjoy your Cooper Couture original!

17. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

It's always such a thrill to hear from relatives of the designers whose beautiful things we come across! (I acquired an early 1950s Charles Cooper dinner suit last year--so lovely and beautifully made...:wub:)lovely

Thanks for posting!