1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chas Levy and Sons 1928 Tuxedo Jacket

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Ariwa, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Ariwa

Ariwa Registered Guest

I bought a tuxedo jacket from a used clothing store. It was made by Chas Levy and Sons from Los Angeles. It was hand tailored December 22, 1928 for WM Petitfils (a chocolate magnate of the time). It needs some fixing and I'm not sure if I should go with a regular fix or a serious vintage fix. I'm trying to find out if this has any kind of decent value. I know this guy made stuff for a lot of hollywood big shots and it was definitely very expensive when it was made. I tried posting pictures on here, but it said the files were too big, but I might be able to send pics to an email address.

Can anyone tell me what to do?

2. Hi Ariwa, and welcome to the forums.

You can see some guidelines on loading photos here. Photos will help us a great deal, with advising you.

Your tuxedo jacket sounds wonderful, I'd love to see it - I've had a lot of tuxedo jackets and find they sell best when the have the matching trousers. Generally price depends very much on size, but also condition. I find the biggest issue with '20s menswear is that it is usually for shorter men than we have now - if the size is small, it could be great for a lady.

Your jacket has good provenance, and maybe there would be some interest in it for that, from a local museum or collector?

3. Donna m

Donna m Registered Guest

Hi Ariwa. . Do you still own this tuxedo. . . It's crazy but it belonged to my son in laws great great uncle Wm Petitfils and I would love to see a picture of it. .

4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Hi Donna, you may have better luck sending a Private Message to Ariwa by clicking on their profile.

5. Donna m

Donna m Registered Guest

Thank you so much. . I sent him a message. . I hope he replies. .