1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chelsea Girl label help

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Michelle Goodrich, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Michelle Goodrich

Michelle Goodrich Registered Guest

Hello to anyone reading this and thank you in advance for any and all help offered .. now - to get to it - I’ve this 2 piece Co-Ord Dress labeled Chelsea Girl simple enough however , Not knowing Much of this label or brand before Finding this item - everything I’ve managed to find out about CG label (not much at all) Shows the label with Different graphic script and a heart at the corner of label . I considered possibly the change in script had to do with River Island but honestly haven’t a clue - hoping someone can fill me in . Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I know a little about this label. From memory Chelsea girl became River Island, as a re-brand, and the Chelsea Girl brand stopped being used. Not sure when this was, but I do remember Chelsea girl from my teens in the 80s, so after that, 80s or 90s, perhaps? Then I believe there was a relaunch at some point, with River Island having a Chelsea Girl line. Possibly the label you are describing with the heart is the relaunch? It's awhile ago that I was reading about this though, and my memory is hazy.

Your set looks early 80s to me, or thereabouts. So if I'm right about the above, it's from before River Island started, and Chelsea Girl was a stand alone brand. I think Chelsea Girl probably started in the 60s? But again don't take that as gospel.

Hopefully this gives you enough to do some more research. You could try and find out when River Island started, and when the relaunch was. If I have time I'll try and find the articles I was reading a few years ago on this.

It would be a good label to add to our label resource if we don't already have it.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  3. Retro Ruth

Here you go it's pretty much all in wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Island
    And on the River Island website: https://www.ritechstyle.com/our-history.aspx

Chelsea Girl launched in 1965 - to associate the brand with the 1960s Kings Road scene (which is in Chelsea in London). It became River Island in 1988 or 1991 (sources differ, most say 1988, but River Island themselves say 1991). Then they launched a Chelsea Girl capsule collection within River Island stores in 2011.

Here's an article about the 2011 relaunch, which shows some clothes and you can just about see labels, most of which have that heart: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/features/chelsea-girl-lets-twist-again-2247594.html

I have a feeling that some earlier incarnations of the Chelsea Girl label also had the heart though - it's very familiar to me!

I think your set is definitely from the earlier pre-River Island phase. Someone else may want to jump in and say if they agree with me on early 1980s.

And my memory is clearly doing okay.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  4. Michelle Goodrich

Michelle Goodrich Registered Guest

hello Ruth & Thank you for the assist ! I was certain this set was 80’s - until I found no similar Chelsea girl labels - Let alone one without the heart at the bottom corner . I’m gonna run with your answer (as well as my initial instinct ) and call it 1980’s . Maybe the fact it was made in India had some impact on label design ... hard telling not knowing
    As far as adding the label to the resource - I’d be more than happy to contribute, is there anything I need to know about that process?
    Thanks again for your help !

Retro Ruth likes this.
  5. Retro Ruth

Michelle Goodrich likes this.
  6. vivianebrookskoviak

vivianebrookskoviak Registered Guest

Hi! I actually collect vintage 80s Chelsea Girl and I'm pretty sure your set is 1984 or 1985. It looks around that era and the label they used during the 80s changed quite a few times,especially depending on the type of garment and to match the shop logos used at the time, but the later labels were more plain with a few exceptions but mostly either black and silver or grey on white and smaller and a lot more plain.
    I think the heart logo was phased out when the shop logo changed to grey or black with lines underneath(1984/5) and the labels themselves reflected this.

The relaunch labels tend to look like the original label from the 60s/70s and have the heart and same style text although some items do say '1960s 1970s 1980s' and I've seen the odd item that is the relaunch which is very similar to the late 1980s label except the relaunch uses a heart, the 80s label didn't.

River Island now do acknowledge that the brand changed in 1988 as I remember seeing '30 years' in my local on on the window 2 years ago.

I can upload photos of the various logos for reference if anyone would like.

Hope this info helps!

7. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

8. Retro Ruth

Really helpful information, thank you!