1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

children's vintage fashion education - ideas?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by blubirdboutique, Feb 5, 2020.

1. blubirdboutique

blubirdboutique Registered Guest

Hello :)

So I have been invited to my daughter's school and read a book related to the type of work I do. I of course sell vintage clothing! I came across a children's book called "little people big dreams - Coco Channel". I am considering reading this one. Is anyone familiar with it? This would be for first graders so age 6 and 7.

I'm not entirely sure I will focus on the selling aspect of my job but more about the fashion side. I think it would be more interesting of course. Does anyone have any ideas that would make it more interesting and fun for the kids? I thought I could bring in some vintage hats or accessories.

Thanks for any ideas I really appreciate it! My daughter is beyond excited for me to read to her class so I don't want to disappoint her!

:)

2. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

What a great opportunity for you and for the children! For that age group, I would think the very best thing is what you are already thinking. That age loves to be read to, and loves to play dress-up. Perhaps you have some things around that can take a bit of a beating?! Children also love a parade, so maybe you could give them 5 minutes to find a piece of clothing, and that you would have a parade of vintage clothes/accessories at the end. Their parents might love some pictures of the event!
    Best to you, and have fun!
    Janine

blubirdboutique likes this.
  3. blubirdboutique

Great ideas thanks so much!

4. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

i wonder if at that age they understand the concept of recycling/green living/the environment yet? is that being taught in schools when they're that young?? if so, maybe an intro to how vintage fashion is better for the world than fast fashion??? or maybe they're too young to get that concept...

5. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Who is the author of the Chanel book? I was interviewed by one author and am mentioned in her Acknowledges. If you won't more info about Chanel or want to discuss how your business has or can broadened your network of friends, let me know.
    In some respects, recycling is slightly advanced for 6 and 7 yr. olds, but they probably know about bottles and cans. You could expand on that.

6. blubirdboutique

Yes I thought about that... maybe just talk about how recycling clothing helps the earth. Thanks!

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  7. blubirdboutique

Thanks! It's the "little people big dreams" series by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara. I might go check it out first before I decided to use it and make sure it's age appropriate. I'd always love info about Chanel! :) One of my favorite designers. I haven't come across many Chanel items unfortunately - I do have a great story of finding a 1960s's numbered Chanel dress though for 6$ at the thrift store! It's still in my shop, hasn't sold... which I guess I don't mind too much!

The Vintage Merchant likes this.