1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chloe dress - can anyone help with how to date it?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Charliehen, Apr 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Charliehen

Charliehen Registered Guest

Hi
    I bought this dress many years ago in a vintage shop in Toulouse. I'm struggling to work out what era it is. Can anyone help? It's raw slubby silk - no labels apart from the Chloe and boutique label.

IMG_7439.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Charliehen

Thanks. I thought it looked 70's style but the way it's finished inside I thought looked older, e.g. looks quite handmade, no care labels, boutique label. Is that in keeping with a 70s Chloe dress do you know?
    Charlotte

3. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Can you show a close up of the buckle please? front and back, and can you see how much label is folded under the left side of the Chloe label? I'm not sure why it should be folded unevenly like that.

4. Hmm. You're right: the standard of construction isn't very good, is it? Even for a '70s dress, I'd expect better for this label. It does look home made, so I wonder if perhaps the label isn't original to the dress - as Melanie points out, it's odd to have it folded so closely to the font as that.

What sort of buttons does it have?

5. Charliehen

Thanks for all your replies. I'm not an expert at all, just love vintage dresses. This has always been too big for me so I'm thinking of selling it. I've just seen it does have a care label. The Chloe label does look folded at the side and doesn't have the 'made in France' bit that they seem to have in general. It just seems strange to add the label in so badly and the 'Germaine d'albi', which I guess is the boutique label. Could the dress possibly be older than 70s or does it look pretty typical? I'll add the photos of buttons / buckle and some extras.
    IMG_7455.JPG IMG_7454.JPG IMG_7451.JPG IMG_7450.JPG IMG_7448.JPG

Attached Files:

6. Thanks for the extra pics. I'll look up the care symbols when I'm back at the computer but they don't look any earlier than '70s. They prove it's commercially made though. I couldn't find anything on the Germaine name. I suspect it was the wearer/owner.

The fabric looks like silk. It's a '40s influenced design so that could be what you're seeing.

Any chance you can unpick the label on the left and check to see if it's complete?

7. Charliehen

I know - I looked for the Germaine D'albi name and came up with nothing either. I bought it in Toulouse (about 10 years ago) which is not far from the town of Albi. I didn't realise it could be a person rather than a shop. It's all a bit of a mystery! I guess I'll never know its history. Is it the sort of thing Chloe made in the 70s? The dresses I've seen are more floaty affairs. It is definitely silk and quite thick. Your right I am thinking its very 40s in style. I've unpicked the label and found that the 'made in France' bit is tucked under. I'm adding a few more pics of the label.

IMG_7471.JPG IMG_7473.JPG IMG_7474.JPG

Attached Files:

8. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I think the care label looks fine for 70s. I picked up a Swiss 70s blouse at the thrift shop last week, and it's care label looks very similar to yours. Same kind of style. Also looks like those shown in the late 60s mail order catalog I have in which they are explained.