1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christian Dior Furs - Mink

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Helen Siwak, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Helen Siwak

Helen Siwak Registered Guest

Hello, I have this mink on 3 hour hold at Salvation Army so I have just enough time to authenticate it! The label matches the one in the resource for 1960's and the price is $700. I have been trying to find another ChristianDiorFurs mink from the 1960's and cannot find a seller that has one. Is this a rare fur? I am considering the investment but not sure...Any help would be desperately appreciated! Thanks, KK ChristianDiorMink1 R.jpg ChristianDiorMink2 R.jpg ChristianDiorMink5a R.jpg ChristianDiorMink6a R.jpg

2. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi, Pretty coat. It's genuine mink and the label appears to be a genuine Christian Dior Furs label. I do notice the signature Christian Dior lining as well which looks authentic. The sleeves are horizontally worked and the collar is shaped like I would expect to see in a 60s fur but I cannot see the rest of the coat's shape to fully verify dating. The label alone is similar to both the 60s and 80s Christian Dior Furs labels. I am not able to put a dollar amount on how much you should spend but the better the condition, the softer the fur, and the pliability of the pelts should be what you use to determine how much you want to spend on this fur or any fur.

jauntyrooster likes this.
  3. Helen Siwak

Helen Siwak Registered Guest

Hi Caryn, Thanks for the information! I sent the photo's to an online authenticator who put it in the early 1960's, mink, and authentic. Valued $2,500+ but due to the rareness of mint condition ChristianDiorFurs from this time, he felt we could go up at least another $1,000-$1,500. I ended up getting it for $498. This is our first real investment in our company and I am so glad I took the chance - it seems that it will definitely pay out! Best wishes, Helen

4. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

Congrats on your purchase - I hope it serves you well as a company investment. I don't mean to be a "Negative Nelly" but I just wanted to jump in and throw a bit of caution into the mix. I am not a fur expert and I don't even play one on tv but I have been trying to do some collecting/learning over the past few years. One thing that worries me here is that I have some doubt that an accurate valuation can be given without the appraiser touching/feeling the fur as condition is paramount to an accurate valuation. A general idea of condition MIGHT be gained through photos (no rips, tears, etc) but you really have to have an expert hand and eye to know what you are holding - I have learned this lesson a few times the hard way. I know that I don't have the expert eye or hand, but I know others who do and they don't give online valuations for this very reason.

Having said all that -I do not mind being wrong and I truly hope your valuation is correct and that you get that plus some when you decide to sell.

5. Jcaruso

Jcaruso Registered Guest

Hi Everyone,

I recently inherited my mother's two vintage mink Christian dior coats. She was a small woman (5' tall) so these must be a size 0. I'm doing research into what they might be worth based on their size, condition, age, rarety, etc. (Yes I understand they are not in great shape).

I'm posting here to see if anyone might be able to help put a date on these, or identify the period these coats were made so I could determine the head designer involved.

As per my estimation, these could be from anywhere between 1960s-1970s, but I suppose they could be older than that if they first belonged to my grandmother. I don't remember the story.

Is anyone able to help me to put a good description on these coats as well? What is the style called? Or the pattern? Any information you could give me would be great. Here are some pictures. Feel free to ask questions or for more pictures.

Attached Files:

6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member