1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christian Dior Robe Made in Australia

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Why July, May 25, 2019.

1. Why July

Why July Registered Guest

I found this Robe in the thrift/op shop. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the label (Despite it being damaged). Upon returning home, much to my surprise, I discovered the care label states it was made in Australia. I've never heard of Dior being made in Australia

After extensive researching there is little to no information about Dior pieces made in Australia. All I came across was a Newspaper from 1949 and some other articles linking him to Australia. Can anyone enlighten me in helping me date this piece?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

P1120278.JPG P1120280.JPG P1120282.JPG P1120284.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Katiestegs

Katiestegs Registered Guest

Heya!
    So I also found this beautiful robe in a thrift store here in Australia with the same label. I asked the woman in the store about it and she happened to work in one of Australia’s lingerie manufacturing studios back in the day. She said that it was unlikely to be a fake since Australia isn’t known for making rip offs and that it was more likely a company similar to the one she worked at that contracted to Dior. She mentioned that they had contracts with Lancôme and a few other luxury brands like Lacoste. So perhaps these pieces are from something like that. I haven’t been able to find any hard evidence but I’ll keep looking.

Attached Files:

3. Jay D

Jay D Registered Guest

I bought a pair of vintage CD sunglasses back in 2007/2008 with “Made in Australia” stamped along the inner frame, left side. There’s a copy right logo, upper right hand side of the Christian Dior name stamped along the opposite side of the inner frame, right side. Seems reasonably legitimate. Although, I too am curious about its mysterious manufacturing history.

4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

5. Blue Wren Vintage

Blue Wren Vintage Registered Guest

910A7DF9-EFEC-479D-BC8A-642BE8C0B308.jpeg Dior products were made under licence in Australia in the mid-late 90s - early 00s and there is also a whole line from the 1950s called “House of Youth” that were made under license designs from Christian Dior New York. Attached is a photo of a label from that time.
    So Dior has a history/love affair with Australia that goes way back!

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

7. Blue Wren Vintage

Blue Wren Vintage Registered Guest

Indeed they are not found often. I knew of this label but I had never seen one until recently. They are quite unusual and not often seen outside museums.

In another piece of trivia about the Dior love affair with Australia ... did you know that Australia was the first country to show a complete Dior collection outside of Paris? This was in 1948 when the collection toured Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide. Maison Dior had only been formed in 1947 and Dior subsequently named collection pieces as Sydney or Melbourne.

Sorry to veer away from the OP question but to find Dior Australian pieces are quite unique and represent very interesting time periods in the history between Dior and Australia.

GemGem likes this.
  8. Sorry Ruth, I missed the memo and just stumbled upon this thread as I was looking for pieces from House of Youth. Glad to see that Blue Wren Vintage has filled in, I don't really know any more than that except to say that I have several HoY including some Diors that I need to document and hope to get to one day. It's a great label and the HoY Diors usually go for good prices when you're lucky enough to find some, they're pretty rare.

GemGem likes this.