1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"CL" signature on silk souvenir scarf 1956?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by scillas, Feb 21, 2008.

1. scillas

scillas Registered Guest

\"CL\" signature on silk souvenir scarf 1956?

I just picked up this silk chiffon souvenir scarf commemorating the 2000th anniversary of Paris – that means 1956.
    At the two corners it it "signed" CL – as you shown in one of the pics.
    Does that mean anything to you, or would that just be the signature of another souvenir shop of the day??
    Thanks a lot!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. theopshoproc

theopshoproc VFG Member

That's really cute - I can't think of who it might be (if anybody?). Christian Lacroix came to mind but I don't think that's it or he was even around then. Is it definitely vintage or could it be something more modern with just a vintage date to be retro? Either way I really like it.

3. thevintagebungalow

thevintagebungalow VFG Member

I love the scarf!! I did some searching and came up with nothing similar and couldn't identify the initials. Sorry!

4. scillas

scillas Registered Guest

Justine > No, I think you are right about Christian Lacroix being too young – and it probably wouldn't be the sort of thing for top designers either.. ??
    I am not a 100 % sure about age, and I'm no expert, but it "feels" vintage – The white is a bit yellowish, the stichting in the hem is a little bit loose in some places and it has a little wear – like something old, that has been used but taken well care of.
    Carrie > Thanks, yes, so many nice details ...The drawings reminds me a bit of the Curious George books...

5. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I was trying to help identify the CL of your scarf and I found 1 1951 NY Times article that seems to point to that year for the anniversary, rather than 1956, although that won't help with the CL!

"PARIS INAUGURATES FETE 'SAISON' TODAY;
    2,000th Anniversary Feature Will Last Till June 24-- Rain Mars Some Events

Special to THE NEW YORK TIMES.
    June 3, 1951, Sunday

Page 18, 426 words

PARIS, June 2--Tomorrow Paris, troubled by a long siege of sunless days, hopes for bright skies to put into full swing the "Saison de Paris" lasting until June 24, which will be the highlight of the city's 2,000th birthday anniversary ..."

Lynne

6. scillas

scillas Registered Guest

Lynne, Thanks so much, really kind of you. :)
    I think you're right; look at this
    poster.
    Well, now we about Paris – the scarf remains a bit mysterious, though ...

:)

7. vertugarde

vertugarde Alumni

I don't have a lot to add. The CL monogram could refer to anything. Sometimes the designer's name is separate from the overall design. Here it is integral - if it is the designer's name?

The edges look to be hand-rolled which is nice.

Here are a couple of good references;

http://tinyurl.com/yrk5ms

http://tinyurl.com/2ev8uz

8. scillas

scillas Registered Guest

vertugarde > Thanks for the links, very nice resource.
    They are bookmarked! :USETHUMBUP:

9. AnyDayNow

AnyDayNow Registered Guest

Vertugarde - those links to the scarves are wonderful. I've moved somewhat from lingerie (as my closets and drawers are now overflowing) to scarves and those on the links are just beautiful!