1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Claire McCardell

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by amandainvermont, Feb 20, 2020.

1. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Many of us read Lynn Mally’s excellent blog: “American Age Fashion”. I wasn’t aware of Claire McCardell’s “popover dress” until I read about them in the blog. The dress was offered during WWII and it came with a matching oven mitt. According to Cardell, “It was meant to be popped over a bathing suit, a pair of trousers or bare skin, or worn as a coat.”

This photograph from Lynn Mally is from a 1943 Montgomery Ward catalog. Hundreds of thousands of these dresses sold for $6.95. They didn't use the designer's name on their labels.

mccardell1.jpg

2. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Claire McCardell is my favorite designer and I was not aware of this. I'll be keeping an eye out. Thanks Amanda!

3. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

you just listed one recently, didn't you??

4. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

I did! It sold very quickly.

mccardellnhmain.jpg

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  5. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

6. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

McCardell is my favorite designer too Susan. I am ALWAYS looking out for a popover dress, and they just don't come up! I suspect that one reason for this might be that they were worn out and disposed of.

7. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Yes - so many sold - and no label, so even if one did turn up ... not many people would know what they were looking at.

8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Thank you for posting that great photo! I knew for decades about the famous popover dress...but not that it came with a matching oven mitt! That is so fun to know. I also love Claire McCardell. I was surprised to find she had done some film work as a designer. About a week ago we were watching an old movie, I think it was on TCM. Her name was in the credits as the costume designer (cannot recall exactly the title) and I exclaimed "Claire McCardell!" really loud. No one in the room knew who I was talking about but I got really excited. I wish I had written down the name of the movie, but I thought for sure I would remember. Not.

A few years back I had the pleasure of being in the back room of a museum and noticed that they had a huge rack full of her garments just casually sitting against a back wall. I was in heaven, being able to see every one up close! Sigh......she was wonderful all right.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  9. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I remember seeing a film as well that mentioned her as the costume designer. If my memory serves me well, I remember a great looking trench coat in the movie that I watched. She really was a fabulous designer, what a shame her life ended when she was only 52 years old.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  10. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

A few years ago I was reading my old copy of "Fashion Is Spinach" and her yellowed newspaper obituary fell out from the pages. The original owner of the book had cut it out and saved it, I guess. I still have it. Yes, she died so so young and one of the top 10 American designers EVER, in my humble opinion.

denisebrain likes this.
  11. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I have an old copy of "Fashion is Spinach" also. The copyright dates in the edition I have are 1938 and 1940. I also have a reprinted edition (2012) of Claire McCardell's book "What Shall I Wear" written in 1956. The drawings are charming! I am going to reread them. Next to them in my bookcase is "The House in Good Taste" by Elsie de Wolfe. (Republished.) Forgot I had it!

Distantdetails likes this.