1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cleaning devore velvet blouse set

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Aimee, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

hello all! came across a few pieces and need some cleaning help with them. first piece up - believe it is devore velvet but please correct me if i'm wrong. it came as a set, blouse with underdress. some signification markings on the blouse, wondering what can be done to remove them? can this blouse be soaked? can the underdress be soaked as well?

also, can anyone place a decade to this set? i was thinking 1920s?

thanks so much!
    IMG_1739.JPG
    IMG_1745.JPG IMG_1744.JPG IMG_1743.JPG IMG_1741.JPG IMG_1740.JPG IMG_1738.JPG IMG_1737.JPG IMG_1736.JPG IMG_1733.JPG

2. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I am afraid you can't wash velvet. It will ruin the pile. I do think its 1920s.

Aimee likes this.
  3. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

Thank you for your help - really would love to clean this piece :wacko: unfortunate there's no way to do so

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I once had a cream colored devore dress that was stained and super yellowed, it was a silk chiffon with velvet. I felt it was going to sell for $25 as is or I would risk washing it. I did put it into my front load washing machine at the delicate cycle and hung it out to dry. I was lucky it did not fall apart and the stains came out. If I remember correctly I worked on the stains a little by hand before trying to go all the way with the machine. I used eucalan to wash it with.

It is definitely a risk as Hollis mentioned above the pile does not remain the same and it could just fall apart depending upon the base fabric. I do remember the velvet pile lost its finish, it had a rougher look to it, not as smooth and shiny as it had once been, but in my case it was better than all stained and yellowed.

I did sell it.

Aimee likes this.
  5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

You could try dry cleaning, but it's hard on old dresses and you are likely to have pile loss, crushing, and tears.

Aimee likes this.
  6. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

Thank you very much for your help! Sincerely appreciate it : )