1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning tips for 1910s silk and net lace wedding dress?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by DaisyandStella, Jan 27, 2018.

1. DaisyandStella

DaisyandStella VFG Member

Hi all!
    I have a gorgeous 1910s silk and net lace wedding dress that has some staining at the skirt hem.
    I would like to try to hand wash this gown and was hoping to get a few pointers.
    I am thinking of spot treating the stains with baking soda and hydrogen peroxide (creating a paste and putting it on the spots for 10 minutes or so) and then soaking the dress in dawn dish detergent in a warm water bath.
    I've attached a few pics of the dress in question. The silk seems to be in really nice structural condition (with exception of remaining silk lining in bodice that is shattering and would need to be replaced). Should i worry about the net lace that's accenting the skirt hem?

I'd appreciate any input, thanks in advance!
    Brooke

Attached Files:

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Beautiful dress. I would be concerned about the net lace. Let's see what others think about handling this.

3. Do you have a photo of the stained portion?

I would not apply hydrogen peroxide because there is a high risk that you will bleach that spot and create a second problem. I no longer do spot cleaning on my vintage and antique textiles for this reason, but clean the garment as a whole.

Your dress is beautiful and I would take to a professional for expert advice. Depending on how bad the stains are, you could reduce the hem a little to remove it. I don't generally recommend this as I don't like to alter fashion if I can but it is one option if you can't remove the marks.

themerchantsofvintage likes this.