1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coat - what is this style called and material?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Tamzzyn, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Tamzzyn

Tamzzyn Registered Guest

Picked this up today at a thrift store and just loved the colour and buttons! Does this style of coat have a particular name? And what kind of material is it? Am I correct in thinking this is 60s? The sleeves are 3/4 length.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I would call it an evening or opera coat. They often had matching sheath dresses in the same fabric. I would agree with 1960s because of the shiny fabric - the later early 70s versions (here in the UK anyway) tend be matte crimplene or similar.
    It's difficult to tell from those photos but it could be a slub silk or silk dupion. Are there no labels at all in it? You could do a burn test on a thread taken from inside the hem.

3. Tamzzyn

Tamzzyn Registered Guest

Thank you so much! The only label in the coat is a lot number and size label in the side, that is it. I did the burn test and it has the characteristics of silk (self-extinguishing, soft black ash etc). I looked up slub silk and found shantung which looks exactly like the fabric of this coat :)

4. Melanie's right, they usually had matching sheath dresses to wear underneath.

This style of coat is called an "Afternoon coat", or at least that's what we call it in Australia and the ensembles (dress and coat set) were worn for fancy day events like weddings, or the races. Sadly they're often separated from their buddies but they're lovely in their own right.

Tamzzyn and Pinkcoke like this.