1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Collar Fur Yellowing

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Mad Catter, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Mad Catter

Mad Catter Registered Guest

I have noticed that several items that I'm getting rid of are a tiny bit yellow. They've been stored in cotton bags hanging in a basement office with 55 humidity. A few old silk velvet capes look a bit yellow. A mohair/wool coat may be a bit yellow.
    No smoking house so I'm not sure why this happens. I thought the muslin bags would have protected them. What else could be causing the yellowing? The only other thing stored there is antique furniture.
    I can take it to a dry cleaner but if I knew what was making some pieces turn a bit yellow, at least I could prevent it from happening to the items that will be going in there after the clothing is gone.

Attached Files:

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Interesting style to this coat. I found an article on how to clean fur.

Code:
    https://housewife.tips/how-to-clean-white-fur-from-yellowness-and-dirt/

3. Mad Catter

Thanks Mary Jane, I'll try a few of the powder type solutions.

The coat is lovely. No label but I'm guessing 40s? Here's a few other pics.

Attached Files:

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

5. Mad Catter

Great! Thank you so much. It seemed to fitted to be thirties but I must be thinking early 30s? Maybe too many inaccurate movies, lol. Thanks again, much appreciated.

6. Mad Catter

Thanks you, I will! Have a mohair/wool coat that I'll try the powdering on as well. Maybe even try it on the 1910s suit. Fingers crossed.

7. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I have had moderate - emphasize on moderate - success using products for washing white fur on garments.
    Marian

Mad Catter likes this.