1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confirming 30s dating and restoration help for skirt and top set

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by laurenm, Mar 21, 2019.

1. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

hi Everyone, this sweet set had a 30s date written on a note. It's in pretty darn good shape for it's age, wondering if I dare try to get the faint staining out of the top or treat the skirt stain....or is it too far gone?
    I'm not sure what this yarn is..it feels a bit like wool/cotton/ silk blend?
    Thanks for any help.
    Lauren

Attached Files:

2. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Just bumping this for a last chance!

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I would try to wash the skirt first with a delicate cleanser ...my concern with the top is dye run. It should hold up fine. I use Eucalan, it is a Canadian product.

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

What is the date on the set? It looks 30s, but its quite plain in details. Trade secret -- liquid dish soap is great for washing things like these - they are great at cutting grease and they are PH balanced, and they work well with cold water. That and use time to your advantage - the longer the soak the better the result (you just have to be sure there isn't a dye run or rusting metal findings, like the buckle frame.

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  5. I wonder if this is later than 1930s? The skirt appears much shorter than any that I have had.

6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I was wondering that too - the heavier yarn along the edge also looks more 40s/50s to me and even the buckle on the belt seemed to be the wrong shape for the 30s.

7. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

This set is from the same estate as the wedding dress and everything was really specifically dated by the previous owner....she had "circa 1934". The trim on the shirt is, I think, raffia Here's a few closer shots.

Attached Files:

8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

It looks mid 1930s to me. The skirt does not look all that short to me, or perhaps the lady was a short woman. When I first saw this it reminded me very much of ladies golf knit wear from the 1930s. Those knit sets were usually very plain with simple ornamentation such as only a contrast color at the neck and a matching belt. So I wonder if the lady wore sportswear or was an outdoor type?

9. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

The little note said it was a gift from her grandmother to her mother and it was worn with crystal beads.....I wouldn't be surprised as they were a fairly affluent old family from Wisconsin.....although why that would equate with outdoorsyness I'm not sure!!