1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confusing 40's? Zipper dress?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by elsewhere, Feb 28, 2005.

1. elsewhere

elsewhere Guest

Confusing 40\'s? Zipper dress?

Really really REALLY need to get back into the swing of things and get some new stuff listed... both in my mall store AND for vlv on ebay! Eek!
    This one is for the mall.
    Ok... my guess on this is... 40's? It's made of a heavy black faille (I think!) with a little stitched in b&w striped dickie (only way I can think to describe it!!! Better suggestions?) and matching cuffs. The dickie collar has a double ended black plastic buttons with rhinestones.
    I'm just stuck on how to describe this dress & could really use some help! Would this have been for daytime? Evening? The zipper seems casual... but the collar & cuffs seems more dressy...
    [​IMG]

More pics of the collar area here:
    http://www.elsewherevintage.com/hubbs

And.. are the pics too lousy? Ok... suppose it doesn't really matter since this is as good as they'll get. I'm using a TON of light here... but my camera isn't happy lately...

2. schoolsgirl

schoolsgirl Registered Guest

I really think you can use this from day to night, I think it is adorable.

3. schoolsgirl

schoolsgirl Registered Guest

could you put a crinoline under it?

4. katzoid

katzoid VFG Member

Very Lucy looking to me, had you tried a pic with a crinoline?

Maybe afternoon bridge club with the girls, could explain the casual look yet dressy touch?

Sorry not much help, and I can't even use lack of coffee as an excuse!

Kat

5. elsewhere

elsewhere Guest

Hmmm... I COULD try it with a crinoline (mine is one of those square dancin' ones) but not sure it would like right under this fairly long dress. It hits about mid-calf on me (I'm 5'9")

<i>Maybe afternoon bridge club with the girls, could explain the casual look yet dressy touch?</i>

ohhh... that's perfect! Lucy playing bridge! Anyone ever see that episode where Fred, Ethel & Ricky bet Lucy that she can't <b>not</b> tell a single lie for 24 hours? She goes with Ethel to their weekly bridge game and their hostess has all new furniture that (while the hostess is out of earshot) Lucy confides to Ethel that she HATES. The hostess comes back and Ethel asks Lucy what she thinks of her new furniture? Lucy says "It's really something!"

I loved that furniture!!! LOL!

kristine

6. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

It's a 50s dress - maybe early to mid 50s. The sleeves and shape of the shoulders are more that way than 40s, as is the skirt shape and length

I have always thought this a flattering line.

Hollis

7. elsewhere

elsewhere Guest

I think this sort of cut is flattering too, Hollis. And the faille is so heavy that it will give the less-than-svelte gal a little structure, too.

Any ideas on what to call that collar treatment? And the collar fabric is so unusual.. I'm just not sure how to describe it! It's almost like embroidered white stripes on black!

kristine

8. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Lucy says "It's really something!"

Hee hee...I DEFINITELY have felt that way before!

That is a great dress, Kristine. Can't lend any expertise...but just had to comment.

9. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I think I am actually going to disagree with Hollis! (A first...)
    This dress looks very New Look to me. It could date as late as 1954, but there is something about it that looks c. 1948/49 to me. The sloped shoulders, dolman sleeves, full skirt etc. Also the use of the zipper strikes me as a novel use of the zipper, the way they used it in the 1930s when it was a modern novelty. I think that attitude still exists post war. By the time you get to the 50s the zipper is purely functional again, and really only appears obviously on at home frocks, otherwise they try to hide zippers beneath plaquest and in the back etc. I can't be sure without handling it, but the collar also looks identical to a dress I used to have that I had the provenance for, which was purchased in spring 1949. It too was the exact same shape and striped and it was attached the same way under a black dress. It came with an alternate red collar and cuffs that had been lost by the time I got the dress. In fact that dress was nearly identical except that if closed with buttons down the entire front, instead of a zipper. I even wonder if it was the same manufacturer, but I can't remember now and i sold that dress a long time ago. So, Hollis may be right, and I am not swearing to it, but I think c. 1949ish.

10. elsewhere

elsewhere Guest

Well.. I ended up putting "40's/50's" to be on the safe side :)

It gave me a very 40's vibe.. and I think it's the 40's gals who are going to want this, even if it turns out to be 50's.

BTW-- it also has underarm gussets.

Listed on babylon...