1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could anyone help me with this hat by Miss Mary?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by denisebrain, Feb 6, 2019.

1. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I don't know what to call this shape hat...don't want to use the word plunger :hysterical: I also don't know the era. Any thoughts gratefully welcomed!

1 (1).jpg
    2 (1) (1).jpg
    P1018050 (1).jpg
    P1018052 (1).jpg
    P1018053 (1).jpg
    P1018055 (1).jpg
    P1018056 (1).jpg

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Coil Stepped Felt Hat...it is darling. It looks 40s or early 50s to me. Your model is so pretty!!!

denisebrain likes this.
  3. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

4. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Thank you both! I suspected 40s but more from the Antoinette Hagen label style.

Coil Stepped Felt Hat ... I've never heard of this before! (and I agree, Sarah is so wonderful!)

5. Cool hat and yes your model is a darling!

denisebrain likes this.
  6. Great hat, Maggie. I would say late 1940s early 1950s. Sculpted in a coiled style. Looks so dear on your model, too.

denisebrain likes this.
  7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Miss Mary is one of my all time favorite "unsung" milliners. She made the most beautiful velvet hats EVER, bar none. Well, in my opinion! Not only the sculptural shapes she created, but the quality of the velvet was very dense and amazing. I used to collect her (mostly) black velvet hats but she worked in other colors too. She just seems to really have loved to work in velvet. Her hey-day was the very late 1940s and 1950s. My memory says she had a tiny little sliver of a shop on the West side on Manhattan. The "better" millinery district.

Your hat is darling, and I agree with very late 1940s to early 1950s. I do not know what to call it! Sculptural coil sounds good, or accordian (spelling, sorry). I would love to see the wooden hat block used to make this one!

Super nice hat!

8. Barbara, I would love to see that hat block, too! It would be a "work of art" in itself! And, I think you nailed it with "accordion" for the description. I believe it's a more appropriate description for this hat than coil.

denisebrain likes this.
  9. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Great hat and great model - she wears it well. I like sculptural coil but you have a lot of choices here.

denisebrain likes this.