1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Country Set by Margit

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by onceoza, Feb 16, 2012.

1. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

I am trying to make sure that I have accurate eras when I list something so that maybe next time I apply to be a member of the VFG, I'll be accepted.

I googled and although I was able to find examples of Country Set by Margit, I wasn't able to find any compnay information. Who was Margit? One clothing example was from VFG member, Vintage Vortex. Most of the examples I saw were given dates of 50's or 60's. I am guessing that this outfit is late 60"s? It feels like an outfit that you'd see on the Partridge Family bus! LOL!

The skirt has deep inset pleats on each side. Is that how you would describe it? The trim on the side of each pleat is the same that is on the cape? jacket? There aren't sleeves, but arm holes What would be the best way to describe it? There are no size or fabric labels. Can I assume it is most likely wool? I didn't see this label in the VFG library, but feel free to add it.

As always, I appreciate your help.

Margit.jpg Margit2.jpg Margit3.jpg Margit4.jpg Margit5.jpg Margit6.jpg

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

This one has me stumped...what is the cut of the sleeve like, is it a deep batwing cut...if so I am thinking it might be from the early 80s.
    On first glance I thought 70s but I just don't know on this one.

3. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

The jacket (coat?) doesn't have sleeves. You put your arms through the openings covering your arms from the elbows up. There are no shoulder pads. The fact that it doesn't have a fabric care label would date it earlier?

4. Quite an unusual set. It's hard to get a good feel for it because of the fuzziness of the photos. What type of zipper is it? That would be another clue. You might have to conduct a fibre burn test to see what kind of material it is. Impossible to say from the photos.

5. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

The zipper is a metal Talon. When I looked at the various Talon zippers, this one says it's from the 50's

6. joules

joules VFG Member

If memory serves, this was a St. Louis firm.
    It appears to be wool; a burn test could help to confirm, as Deborah mentioned.

I think it is perhaps late 60s to early 70s-ish.

7. joules

joules VFG Member

8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It's like a cocoon cape...I thought it had sleeves:hysterical:I've never seen anything quite like it!
    I would go with early 70s then on it.

9. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

Well, I live in St. Louis, so that makes sense
    Can't you see Laurie Partridge wearing this?

10. joules

joules VFG Member

Yes, I recall, from your Chanel post a few months back, that you are in the vicinity.

For sure! Very Partridge family style. Add knee socks, and you're set.

11. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

CUTE! I am pretty sure its about 64-65 - there are a lot of capes then and a lot of tweedy mohairy suits as well as leather, turtle neck sweaters, textured stockings and ghillie shoes. Its just before everything goes mod and mini.

12. joules

joules VFG Member

Good to know, Jonathan! Textured stockings, that's it!
    Thinking back, I think my Dad did a trade with this firm, for some cutting machines, and my Mom and I got to shop.

13. Agree with Jonathan and Julie with mid to late 60's. I love the print and colors and how the coat fabric is set on an angle to create a harlequin look. What a cool set!

14. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree with the mid-'60's also. The skirt is longer than you would have seen in the late '60's. Fun set!

15. joules

joules VFG Member

Mid-60s it must be. Jonathan's visual reference makes it crystal clear, and Linn's point about the length, seals the deal.

16. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

I appreciate your expertise everyone! Thank you

17. Cool. Mid 60's it is. I just have to chime in again and say what an awesome set that is. I would get it listed soon as the Australian fall season is coming up and they have a hunger for cute vintage things just like us here in the states!

18. susanandco

susanandco Registered Guest

Imagine my surprise when I googled Country Set by Margit and found this listing......I have the same cocoon jacket and was trying to date it to list it also. I started with 70s, and then backed it off to 60s and I see now I am thinking correctly!! What fun!! Thanks for all the info second hand!

Attached Files:

19. Good find Susan - it does look like it came from the same collection.

Agree with mid '60s on this stunning set - the collar nails it for me, you don't see collars like that in the '70s or '80s.

Regarding the skirt, they look like box pleats.

20. 360bruce

360bruce Registered Guest

Country Set by Margit is Margit Strauss. I believe her husband Richard owned the company in the 1960’s. In the 1970’s she was the designer for Country Suburbans.