1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crazy op-art waveform print 60s Scandinavian dress - and a plea for info

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by TinTrunk, May 4, 2010.

1. TinTrunk

TinTrunk Registered Guest

I've not been so active on the VFG forum recently, apologies. But I have a heartfelt plea for information so I hope you'll forgive me :)

This dress is one of the few remaining from my rapidly diminishing personal collection, and it would take a disaster more drastic than bankruptcy to make me part with it:

[​IMG]

Its labelled 'Fenno-Sport' and I assume its Scandinavian (Finnish?) and I'm estimating it dates from around 1967-69 (any input/correction on this estimate most welcome, of course).

I would love to find out more information about Fenno-Sport, but the last time I tried to search I got a load of results for an isotonic sports drink!

None of my fashion reference books have any mention of Fenno-Sport clothing, so I wondered if anyone here at VFG had any information, or ideas about useful books they could point me too?

Its such a striking dress - I hope you appreciate my sophisticated photo enhanced with clothes pegs and string! - and I'm dying to find out more about it.

Sarah

2. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

I LOVE that!

That's all I've got.

Susan

3. :wow22:

The print is very Panton - love everything about this dress!

4. BijouVintage

BijouVintage Alumni

:drooling22: what a fabulous piece!

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I wonder if this could have had something to do with Marimekko fabrics as they used a lot of this sort of very graphic design in their textiles.

It's stunning!

6. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

No info for you on the company, but that is one gawgus! dress!!! And I agree with your dating. I, too, would need more than bankruptcy to be persuaded to part with it.

7. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

From a 1975 newspaper... There's an article - "A Fashion Skol from Finland" and it talks all about Finnish designs, concentrating on Marimekko. In the last paragraph it says" "Fenno-Sport's fashions are as brightly distinctive as marimekko labels."

[​IMG]

8. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

Love it - and how great to find the ad!
    I've had quite a few, so maybe a popular uk import? Majority have been early 80s, always great fabric.

9. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

10. joules

joules VFG Member

I knew this was gonna' be good!
    Thanks for sharing this fabulous beauty with us, Sarah.

11. hipvintage

hipvintage Alumni

Reminds me of Spirograph designs!

12. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

This immediately reminded me of Marimekko too - I would have guessed that without any explanation to the photo. I checked my two finnish fashion books, but couldn't find Fennosport (I adore finnish design, and Helsinki is one of my very favorite cities, so I've been there a few times...).
    But I've found some other links:
    vintage FennoSport dress on an auction site
    And here's some more pics of vintage Fennosport dresses:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaana-mari/520108945/
    http://www.flickriver.com/photos/jaana-mari/534437336/
    http://www.flickriver.com/photos/jaana-mari/917126445/

Karin

13. ivycompany

ivycompany Alumni

14. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

15. TinTrunk

Wow, I had to post and run (sorry), and I'm so thrilled with the response! Thank you everyone :)

It looks like the company was definitely working in the same vein as Marimekko - maybe it was a bit cheaper? As you say, Harriet, they do come up from time to time (more than old Marimekkos that's for sure) and its so frustrating that there's no information about the company.

I used to have a maxi wrap skirt with matching headscarf too, but the only picture I have is of the scarf!:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trevira/3375440967/

Amanda - my dress must come from the same collection as the one in your newspaper clipping, its exactly the same construction and style. That nails the date precisely, fantastic!

Karin - thanks for those great links! I wonder if Jaana Mari has any information, she's obviously a collector (and a great model too!) I'll send her a polite flickr message in the hope that she does.

Eileen - that daisy dress is just stunning!

Just by the way, my sister has a short video of me wearing this dress and spinning like a top! It flares out cone-shaped and those waveform patterns are enough to induce severe discombobulation :hysterical:

Sarah

16. joules

joules VFG Member

Jaana Mari is great! She's a frequent contributer to the wardrobe_remix flickr group, and I'd imagine she has good info about those pieces.
    Sarah, could you possibly add that video? Or post on flickr?
    And, I love that scarf you sold (with the skirt).

17. TinTrunk

Well Janna-Mari responded right away, but sadly she could offer no more information about Fenno-Sport!

But she did offer me some more Finnish fashion brands (and great picture links) which I really hope she won't mind me sharing here - they're too good to keep to myself:

"Kaunotar"
    www.flickr.com/photos/jaana-mari/2713888314/
    "Vuokko"
    www.flickr.com/photos/jaana-mari/3624572395/
    "Pia&Paula"
    www.flickr.com/photos/jaana-mari/2539832532/
    "Merry Finn"
    www.flickr.com/photos/jaana-mari/2701342973/
    "Annikki Karvinen"
    www.flickr.com/photos/jaana-mari/2542466752/

Vuokko and Merry Finn I've heard of, but the others are new to me.

Joules - ha ha! That's really put me on the spot! I don't have any pictures of me online (let alone videos), at least not to my knowledge. I'm very uncomfortable about that :)

Let me mull that one over . . .

Thanks about the scarf and skirt too! I've found a picture of the full ensemble - I used the scarf as a tie top here, I think it could be used for either purpose:

[​IMG]

Sarah

18. joules

joules VFG Member

Not meaning to do that at all, Sarah. flickr has helped me become somewhat more comfortable with photos and things, but I totally understand.

Shazaam! That print is a knockout. Stylized bamboo to my eye.
    Now, off to view those others, via the links that you've so kindly shared.

19. TinTrunk

I think I need to get over myself! I've always been shy, that's for sure :)

The other problem is that my sister shot that video sideways!

The Finnish designers were so strong on bold prints. If I wasn't trying to wean myself off collecting, I'd be out there hunting for more examples.

I don't think they get the recognition they deserve (apart from Marimekko of course!)

Sarah

20. sarah-jane

sarah-jane VFG Member

I had a lovely little Pia & Paula skirt suit that I struggled to part with, gorgeous print, lovely quality, totally unappreciated - took two years to sell :BAGUSE:

If it had come anywhere fitting me, it would have stayed at home...

Sarah