1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crinoline question

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Tamzzyn, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Tamzzyn

Tamzzyn Registered Guest

For those who use or wear them - do you use original vintage ones or modern ones? I have one (a cheap one from Amazon) but I'm not really happy with it - it doesn't 'puff' out as much as I'd like. Any recommendations for good crinolines? Should I find a true vintage one or is there a good modern one? I want one for wearing 50s and early 60s dresses.

2. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

In my experience, the more modern really full ones come from companies that make square dance garb - they tend to be on the shorter side for authentic vintage skirts and dresses, which tend to be longer, leading to that unfortunate "bell" shape. I think our expectations have changed when it comes to how full skirts should look.

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree try your best to get a couple of vintage ones. We have a bag full as depending on the garment we need different shaped ones.

That is an amazing skirt, Linda and the crinoline is so cute!

4. Vintage crinolines are definitely better but it's all about the right length for your skirt (as Maggie mentions, modern ones are often short) and fullness. If you're happy with the length, but want more fullness add another petticoat. I used to love full skirts in the '80s and wore three '50s tulle and nylon chiffon crinolines at the same time, plus a nylon slip so the tulle/netting didn't scratch my stockings.