1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Critter id please

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by vintagemeggie, Sep 22, 2004.

1. vintagemeggie

vintagemeggie Registered Guest

Hello everyone,

I have a few questions about a coat.

50s? It has a union label - ILGUW AFL-CIO, National Recovery Board, Coat & Suit Industry.

The fur collar is real, but I have no idea what kind of critter.

How to describe the coat - it looks like mini-shag all over it.

How to take a pic where the coat detail & the fur show up at the same time? I either get the coat detail but the fur is blurred, or I get the fur but the coat is a black blob.

Thanks in advance,
    Karen:)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I want to say white mink... but fur is not my forte... but I may be right. SOmeone will come along who will know.

3. kevinjohnnyc

kevinjohnnyc Registered Guest

Different fabric! It's a tough one to describe. That pic helps a lot! Maybe call it "long pile" or something like that. Mini-fringe ???

No help at all on the fur...sorry!

4. vintagemeggie

Thanks for trying:)

5. bigchief

bigchief Alumni VFG Past President

Wild (no pun intended!) guess here - could it be oppossum? There's just something about it that seems un-mink-like...

Obviously, I'm no expert but I thought I'd take a stab at it :)

Carolyn

6. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

My first thought on the fur was ermine.

I think the term given to the fabric treatment is 'eyelash'. Eyelash what though? Faille? wool?

Very unique. I have seen a late 50s jacket with this fabric but never a full coat, and I imagine it was fairly pricey in it's time.

Sue

7. vintagemeggie

Thanks Carolyn for trying. I may just have to list it as 'A very soft unknown critter'.

Karen:)

8. vintagemeggie

Ermine? Ya don't see many of them around here. :D Actually, I don't even know what it is...I'll go check out the fur section on the home page.

Eyelash - I like that. Thanks Sue.

Karen :)

9. cosmiccowgirl

cosmiccowgirl Alumni

10. bigchief

bigchief Alumni VFG Past President

Wow, Leigh - you're so right!

Leo's title of his painting conjures such a different image; I looked at it and thought Lady Cuddling Weasel (!!)

Your Philistine Friend,
    Carolyn :)

11. vintagemeggie

Leigh,
    The link seems to be broke when I try it. Of course, now I just NEED to see the pic.:)

Karen

12. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

<a href="http://www.vintagefashionguild.org/furs/ermine.html">VFG Fur Resource Ermine</a>

Summer ermine is brown, in winter their coat is white. I really do think this is ermine.

Sue

13. cosmiccowgirl

cosmiccowgirl Alumni

14. vintagemeggie

Thanks....it worked.

And thanks to all for their help.

Karen